Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil miser 22 vs 23

I see that the OM22 is allowed to use #2 heating oil. The OM23 says to use ULSD or kerosene. These two heaters look pretty much the same. What is different with the OM23 that doesn't allow it to use #2 heating oil?

You have run across one of the more confusing issues Toyotomi has never really dealt with very well. Yes the OM 22 was certified to use #2 fuel oil, where the OM 23's use of #2 was never addressed. Today there is no mention of the use of #2 fuel.

Laser 560 and 730 use the same fuel :

1-K kerosene (ASTM D3699)
    Low Sulfur No.1 Fuel (ASTM D396 S500)
    Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (ULSD) or
    Ultra Low Sulfur Heating Oil (ULSHO) (ASTM D975 S15)

The above fuel is also specified for Laser 530 and Laser 300 (new model numbers).

Anytime Toyo mentioned #2 fuel they always stated the need for increased service work due to the heavier fuel. I have never used #2 fuel with a OM 22 or 23 heater, so I can't say how it works. I have seen #2 used by mistake in all other Toyo heaters and it is a disaster. A Laser 73 and L56 will only last about 3 days before it soots up. Laser 30 will not last much longer. Since Toyo has dropped the statement about #2 fuel oil use in OM 23 and Laser 530 (new model #) I would think they want to distance themselves from it's use. In my opinion you won't gain anything by using #2 fuel oil and may even cause more problems than you want.

The model # OM 22 was used for about 8 years before changing to OM 23. The OM heater line did not catch on very well here in Alaska, as the Laser 56 was such a good heater. There was reduced fan flow and RPM rate for the OM 22 and 23 even though the heat rating stayed the same. All that being said the OM 22 and 23 are two of the best Toyotomi heaters out there. They are bullet proof and go a long time between needed service. Tom

Comment

This is off the Toyotomi USA site

EXCLUSIVE!!

Ultra Low Sulfur Heating Oil/Diesel (ULSHO/D) has no more than 15ppm (parts per million) of sulfur content. In 2012 New York State became the first state to mandate Ultra Low Sulfur Heating Oil (replaces current (High Sulfur) Heating Oil). Many other states are expected to mandate Ultra Low Sulfur Heating Oil within the coming years. ULSHO/D is similar to the diesel fuel that is available at most gasoline stations around the country for use in diesel engine vehicles. If ULSHO/D is available for delivery to your home by a fuel oil dealer be sure to request "off road" prices, meaning that federal and state road taxes have been deducted. In order to maintain the best performance, Toyotomi strongly recommends when using ULSHO/D that the heater be serviced at least every two years because the distillation of ULSHO/D is heavier than either K-1 Kerosene or No. 1 Low Sulfur Fuel Oil.

If any of the Toyotomi vented heaters listed below are currently in use and using K-1 Kerosene or No.1 Fuel Oil, ULSHO/D can now be used. However, Toyotomi strongly recommends that the unit be serviced prior to using ULSHO/D and subsequently serviced at least every two years.

IMPORTANT: If you have been using regular NO.2 Heating Oil (that is not Ultra Low Sulfur) in your fuel tank, before using a Toyotomi Vented Heater, you must have your fuel oil dealer thoroughly purge your fuel tank of all fuel and sludge from your fuel tank before filling your tank with ULSHO/D.

*Only the following models are approved to use ULSHO/D: Toyostove Laser L-30, L-56, L-60AT, L-73, L-73AT, Oil Miser OM-22, and OM-23

Comment

Working...
      X
      =