Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED HELP!! 3 ton unit curr 1 zone- can I do 2?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP!! 3 ton unit curr 1 zone- can I do 2?

[?] I need some help!! Hi all- I am new here and in need of some help. A couple years ago my father had central air installed in the house & it seems as it the upstairs is never COOL enough and always too warm... even in winter it is too HOT! The unit is a 3 ton uni and I have seriously been thinking of having it zoned, 1 zone for the downstairs & 1 for the upstairs. Could anyone tell me roughly how difficult this would be?? I know you couldn't give me exacts without seeing the house but would it be worth it?? Is it that difficult to do yourself or should I let a HVAC company do it?? I am really tight on funds but just gotta do something!!!
    I already have an idea of how it would be laid out since there are only 2 bedrooms & a bathroon upstairs. I was htinking of 2 vents in the bigger bedroom and 1 in the smaller one. The house iteself is not that huge- only 40' x 20' and the upstairs is even smaller- only about 30' x 12' total area (including steps & bathroom). I have thought about getting a window unit but since htere are not alot of windows up here I would hate to have to obstruct a window like that.
    Gosh i hope I am making some kind of sense to someone ha ha ha!
    We have tried everything to get the upstairs cooler but it just doesnt seem like its working... there are 4 vents thru the floor to the upstairs & 6 thru the celing for the downstairs... i have set the temp in the thermostat (located downstairs) to 72 deg and it only cools the upstairs to 75 deg sometimes 74 if I am lucky... even with the fan running to circulate the air it just doesnt seem to work.. I am at a loss what to do...

if anyone has ANY IDEAS- please help me!!!
    Thanks so much in advance!!! [:X]

Do you have an attic above the upstairs? If so, do you have an attic fan or vents to let out some of the heat? That could help. Other than that I'll let someone who knows more about hvac to answer.

Todd

Comment

amethyst04,

The secenrio you describe is fairly common for a single unit used
      to condition 2 levels. The 2-3 degree differential in cooling mode
      between lower and upper levels is within equipment capability and
      expectations. You do have some options however, one like Todd mentioned is the use of attic ventilation fans. In some situations
      attic fans are very effective. Another solution is the use of
      in-line booster fans but as I have stated in another post their
      effect is limited. The third and probably the best solution is to
      zone your system. Based on how the ductwork is installed and the
      location of your unit/air handler this will vary in difficulty.
      My suggestion is to call a licensed HVAC contractor and let him
      take a look. Most of them will be glad to give you a free estimate
      and give you some options on what you can do yourself. Hope this helps!

Ed/metalhd2

Comment

Working...
      X
      =