Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old gas fireplaces in 1920's home

We have recently purchased a home built in 1920's with 6 fireplaces. 4 of the fireplaces look like they have gas furnaces installed in them. Two fireplaces downstairs have gas logs in them. Previous owner had gas to all fireplaces shut off due to fumes that seemed to burn eyes etc. when he used logs. He seemed to suspect a gas leak. I called local plumbers to replace gas lines which they talked me out of and did a pressure test. Then they seemed to suspect that lines might have leak in between floor where they could not access. They also felt that the logs downstairs were more like gas furnaces that looked like logs (no flame--just heat from them.) We don't know what to do next! We want to use the two fireplaces downstairs! Where we live (small town Oklahoma) no one seems to work on fireplaces. Also, someone else who came & looked at fireplace chimneys seems to think the chimneys are open but were just blocked off. I would love a wood-burning fireplace. I don't know what to do next or where to find someone who can figure this out! Help!

Marsha,

I checked for companies in Oklahoma that do chimney inspections and could not locate one that specializes in it. Please check out http://www.findaninspector.us/search...=Search+Now%21 . I would call some of these companies to see if they are trained on chimney inspections and have them come by and take a look.

Good luck,
    Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Contact your local fire inspector. They will be glad to send someone out to inspect your chimneys and fireplaces and can make recommendations as to what work will have to be done and perhaps give recommendations on contractors in your area who can do the work.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =