Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exterior paint for old home

We have bought a 6000 ft. 1920's BRICK home with large wooden eaves, facia and lots of windows. It is fabulous but the wood has not been painted in years! We have gotten a few estimates ranging from $9600 to $25000 to scrape, prime, paint and reglaze the windows. We've also talked to one co. regarding siding for the eaves, & facia.. for around $20-30,000. This would do nothing with windows. I am also concerned about how well they will scrape... and how long this paint job should last. This is a lot of money and I don't want to be redoing it in a couple of years. Anyone out there who has dealt with this problem or who also has a HUGE old house and what they would recommend? It could look amazing but we don't have money to throw away!

When you do the painting even with a high quality paint, you will be repainting after 8 or so years. Vinyl siding is the way to go. Find a contractor that will bend the aluminum to the fascia design of your eaves. Gable ends are made of aluminum sheeting, anodized aluminum with bonded top coat. My Dad painted our house with Dutch-Boy and after about six years had to do touch up etc. Eventually he went for vinyl siding and it still looks great!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =