Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 gauge wire for a 15A Circuit

Hello,

I am preparing to extend an used circuit in my attic in order to accomodate my new air conditioner. The AC calls for a 15amp circuit. The circuit I have available is a 20AMP circuit with 12 gauge wiring. Do I have to replace the breaker with a 15A and the wire with 14 gauge? Can I utilize the circuit as is? Or can I replace the breaker and keep the existing 12 gauge wire.

Thanks.

Although 14 guage wire is permitted on a 15 amp residential circuit, in fact, the 12 gauage is much preferred. There should be no problem with running a 15 amp load on a 20 amp circuit. (keep in mind, the amp rating of a circuit is the highest load it can safely carry).
    While there should not be any problem with running the 15 am ac on a 20 amp circuit, if it is a dedicated circuit the proper thing to do is to install a breaker that matches the load.

Comment

Thanks LazyPup. I think I'll do it the right way and replace the breaker as well. I'm just glad I don't have to run a new line to the panel since the 12 gauge will do. Thanks again.

Comment

12 gauge is ok for 15 amps for sure . But you say up in the attic. Might want to look into how far a run you will have on this wire. If after the AC runs for a long time. Feel the wire and if it is at all warm I would put in a new #10 wire to the AC.

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
        My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

Your house was probably wired right through using 12/2 cable. The contractor just didn't want to incorporate 14/2 in the house. That's the norm now a days.
          Consider the distance from the a/c to the panel. If its more than 100 feet you could have a voltage drop problem. It's not supposed to be less than 3%.
          For voltage drop you need to consider the total distance - 150 feet out (black wire) and 150 feet back (white wire) total of 300 feet.
          I attended a forum once for re-certifying electricians. Given a problem of a dryer 150 feet away from a panelbox. Most guys said that 10/3 would be sufficient to run the dryer. However using a VD formula it was too small, no 6 cable was recommended for a 27 amp load.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =