X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seized Pipe Fitting

I have a water supply faucet(the kind for a washer) that has
    a 2-way splitter on it. The faucet is seized up and needs to
    be replaced, but I have to remove the splitter first.

The splitter is Y shapped so it is kinda hard to get a wrench around it, so I tried vise grips but it will not budge.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this off?

Well, I don't know exactly what you're trying to describe but if you don't care about the part, a pipe wrench and some elbow grease usually do the trick.

Good luck!

Comment

I would agree that it is probably time to get out the big guns, the pipe wrenchs,but there is a right and wrong way to use pipe wrenches. Pipe wrenchs can put an extreme amount of tork on a pipe or fitting and their is a risk of breaking the pipe. Whenever it is necessary to use a pipe wrench it is best to use them in pairs. One is used to hold the pipe steady while the other is used to turn the fitting, or vice versa as the task demands.

Comment

The whole reason why I want to get the 2 way splitter off is so I can get at the water faucet that is also seized up behind it.

So for now I'm going to try to work on the water faucet...

I've already ton of WD-40 on there no help, so now I'm trying a vinegar soaked rag. Supposedly will help cut through any calcium deposits that are causing it to seize. Next I'm going to try losening the cap on the faucet assembly and maybe take a torch to it.

Comment

That vinegar is a good idea. Something else that may help loosen most ANYTHING siezed by rust is something called PartsBlaster. It's a spray can and can be purchased at most auto parts stores. The stuff is great. Spray it, tap the item a bit and wait twenty minutes. Tap again and then try loosening. Most likely will start turning for you!

Comment

Get out a chisel and a hammer and break the part off the threads. Support the fitting as best you can and hammer away at it. Since you say the faucet is bound up - use a close quarter tubing cutter and cut off the faucet and resolder in a new unit.

Comment

Tried the vinegar, no luck.

Tried looseing the cap on the faucet, that worked wonders!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =