Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120V at disposer switch, but not under the sink

I have 120V coming into and out of my disposer wall switch. However, I unhooked the cable underneath the disposer and measured it there as well. Nothing! I also checked the resistance between the hot leaving the switch and the hot under the sink. Infinite!

The cable enters through a small hole in the back of the cabinet so I can't see anything back there. It seems like it could be a short somewhere in the line but I don't see how. Could there be an outlet behind the sink that I can't see, controlled by the wall switch? If so, maybe something's wrong there. Maybe the dishwasher rattled something lose. I will say that there is one "mystery switch" in the kitchen that I haven't figured out the purpose of yet. Any ideas? Worst part is I can't get behind the sink.

Hmm.. was the kitchen renovated lately by chance? what would not hurt to check is if you have continuity through your neutral wire as well, it should end up in the box with the switch.. If for some odd reason it doesn't and all you have is 2-wires at the switch, and 2-wires at the disposal, you have a box somewhere (HOPEFULLY NOT BURIED) that will have a bad connection.
    Anyways, if you have continuity through your neutral, chances are there is going to be a box with a bad connection as well, if you have NO continuity, the cable is cut somewhere,or not hooked up at all.
    A.D

Comment

Yes, there was continuity with the neutral, but not the hot. No remodeling...except a part recently installed in the dishwasher. When you say "box", are you talking about an outlet, or socket? If it's a bad outlet I would have to bust out the back of the cabinet or pull out the dishwasher I suppose.

Comment

by "box" I mean a junction box or even an outlet box.. Did you say there is an outlet BEHIND the cabinet?? That shouldn't be! I'd be busting that out and making it accessable, and chances are thats where your problem is!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =