Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics Cooling Fan

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum but I hope that somebody out there may be a little creative and be able to help me solve my problem. I have built a custom built-in entertainment center. It's fit to the exact size of the TV with only 1/4" around it. I'm concerned about over-heating so I'd like to install a cooling fan like those used on PC's. Radio shack sells a 110V brushless motor fan rated at 65 CFM that would do the trick nicely.

I'd like to put this on a thermostat to turn on/off automatically as the air heats up around the TV. I've been unable to locate a thermostat that would do this. I've considered using an attic fan thermostat but I can't even locate one of those (unless I go pull mine out of my attic to try).

Has anyone tackled a job like this or have any suggestions? I appreciate any helpful comments or tips.

Great forum BYT!

Would RS also have the temp sensors you're talking about? I wonder if you could hook up a reguilar thermostat. You may have to wire it to a relay to get it to work 'backwards'. It will charge when the temp gets low, but kick off when the temp gets high, just the opp of what you need. So if it's run through a realy, you can set the relay to energize the opposite of the thermostat. The whole thing wouldn't cost more than 10 or 15 bucks.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping that I could just find a simple thermostat that would do the job. I was looking for something in the electronics area but maybe just a regular attic thermostat will work. I found that Grainger sells one for about $22 that works between 90 - 135 degrees and will switch a 110V load. That will probably be the best way to go. I just can't believe that others haven't had this same problem.

Comment

sir, go to www.mcmaster.com and look for a surface, full voltage thermostat. Wire it in series with the fan. I run a karaoke and I have two 6 inch fans to cool off my equipment which runs about 800 watts of audio. another site may help you - www.allelectronics.com

Comment

I have used many of those Radio Shack muffin fans to cool my ham radio equipment. Rather than worry about a thermostat i simply wire them direct to the power circuit. When the power is on, the fan is on.

In the old days when we had tube amplifiers and oscillators we had to worry about temperature causing frequency fluctuations, but in this day of digital circuitry, all components are temperature critical and many have built in heat sinks. Increasing the air flow will increase the performance of the heat sinks and help extend service life of the components.

Consider your own Personal computer, you will note that it has a small fan such as you describe that runs full time.

Comment

I am working on a simular project. A storage area under my stairs that I want to use to store wine. I have a raised foundation, and the air is cool in that area all summer. I have cut a small hole in the floor of the storage area and mounted a 110v muffin fan. I have ordered (and not received) a thermal cube. I is a small device that plugs into the outlet, turns on at 78 and turns off at 70 according to the brochure.(no adjustment I think). The fan is pluged into it, no wiring. I saw it in a catalogue for $18. However I found one on Google for $10. Use the words "thermal cube" and you will find it. Very simple concept, plug in the cube, then plug in the fan. They also make one that will turn on a heater, which is not our problem.

Comment

just plug in the fan and let it run - the cooler the tv is the better and longer it will last. you really don't need a t-stat.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =