Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Private Water - Filtration System

Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Gee wizz, Max. It sounded so good there, too. My opinion on separating the outside faucets was to not do it. I came to that conclusion when I saw the stains on the brick where the sprinkler hit. Sure was evident when I came up to the house one day and saw the orange streaks! Not to mention the hard water spots left when wahing the car. The amount of salt that may be in the water (should be extemly small, if at all) won't hurt the plants, either. I've heard about the cost of the salt used if leaving the outside bibs hooked up. That amounts to pennies. Not worth it imo. There is something that's bothering me about your story. Every time there's a substantial drop in pressure, or inability for the pump to 'keep up' seems to occur when you're doing some outside watering. It's sure sounding more and more like a draw-down problem. That is to say, if you drain the well to a point that's beyond it's ability to supply enough water to the pump. Your daily household use may not be at the level of the house use PLUS heavy outdoor use. Can you dig up info on the well pump installers who last worked on it? They should have the info on that. Dang, I hate to see time, effort, money wasted....

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The connection you made there is suspicious right enough and that's why I mentioned the pressure switch / well relay. I know what a relay sounds like and that clicking noise was the suond I heard the very first time the water stopped. This led me to believe that the pressure switch was working but the relay wasn't. I will find out what I can about the well pump, there appears to be yet another label on that so it could mean that there are 3 different companies involved in the process. I should add that when the hose stopped yesterday it was after only a couple of minutes, not a couple of hours like last time and the "drought" only lasted a short time i.e. the water was back in the time it took for me to get to the basement, about 20s. Even though we have had a lot of rain lately is it still possible that we have a well level issue? So much confusion.

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    The rain we've been having lately will not affect your well water level for a long time. In my last house I had an 80 gallon water heater that I'd drain about once every three months. Usually when I changed out the filters. I'd also let the pressure zero out so as to get as much of the 'old' out of the system before I sent new through fresh filters. The pump could handle filling the whole house piping and the water heater with no problem. But, when using the lawn sprinklers, the well would get depleted. But it did take a while for that to happen. When it did, it sounded more like the pump was sucking what little water would drain into the well and then it would spit it up. There was no 'clicking' as to what you describe. Sounds like three possibilities: A bad relay, dying pump or an imtermittent short. I presume it's a 220 submergible pump. Could be that one of the leads rubbed through it's insulation and shorts out from time to time. Could also be the pump is going bad and is overheating, causing the relay to click on/off. Maybe over 'heating' is the wrong word here. Because of possibly worn bearings it's off center at times and causes a short and that's what's clicking the relay.

Thread Information