Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in the pipe under my sink

I am in the middle of refinishing my kitchen cabinets, which are coming out terrific by the way. I was preparing the counters etc to start sanding the upper cabinets, when I see a large puddle on the rug on the floor under the sink. I open the cabinets and water is pouring from one of the pipes that lead from sink. I have a stainless steel double sink, so it's the left pipe. I reached up to try and find where the leak is and there is a hole the size of my thumb in the pipe. I cannot contact my landlord because he's on vacation. Is there a temporary fix to something like this until the actual pipe can be replaced? I'm worried that the water will leak down to my neighbor's apartment since I am on the 2nd floor. I have turned off the water for now, and place a bucket there, but at some point I need to use the water in the kitchen. Any suggestions for patching the hole? Thanks

Carole; since you say that "its one of the pipes that leads FROM the sink" I have to assume its a drain. You could wrap some duct tape around it and then put some fast drying epoxy cement (auto body repair over and around the tape. This will be a temporary fix until you replace this drain pipe. If its not a drain-pipe,but a supply pipe, post back for more info on a repair. Hube

Comment

Yep that's exactly what it is. Many thanks for the tip. The pipes come down from each sink drank and then form a t shape it's the pipe on the left coming down from the drain.I don't have any of the stuff you mentioned, but I'm going to head off to Home Depot and see if they have the epoxy. The duct tape I do have but not the cement. Thanks again.

Comment

Carol, You could attempt a fix with duct tape and epoxy as mentioned but in truth, the cost of the tape and epoxy is more than the cost of the permanent repair parts. And probably almost as much skill required to do it,,heheheheh. Since you state that the problem is a hole in the pipe it goes without saying that you have chrome plated brass pipes (corroded holes are a common problem on chrome brass pipe, while unheard of on PVC pipes.) All the parts you need come prepackaged in a kit. If the Tee connection is midway between the sinks you need a "Center waste kit" or if the Tee fitting is directly below one sink with a cross over tube to the other sink you need an "End Waste Kit" Since your pipes are under the sink cabinet in a concealed location their is really no reason to get the expensive chrome plated metal. A chrome plated brass waste kit would cost around $25 while a PVC kit is only about $8. Both work equally well, meet code approval, and in the end, the PVC will never corrode like the metal did. Installation is really simple. You may need a pair of slip joint pliers to remove the old pipes but the new PVC fittings should fit water tight with hand pressure.
        Be sure to place a bucket under the lines before you start disassembly because their is about a pint of water trapped in the P-trap. Take the bottom section of the p-trap off, then unscrew the waste kit at the first joint below the sink, about 1-3 inches below the sink. Lay the complete assembly aside so you can look at it as you assemble the new kit. Pre-assemble the new kit but do not tighhen the joints at this time. The joints are made to slide in and out for final fit. Once you have the new kit attached to the bottom of the sink you may then tighen the fittings. Re-attach the P-trap, tighten it up and run some water to test your job. In a perfect world that would be all there is to it, but if your luck is like mine, no doubt the P-trap is also weak. I would consider replacing that at the same time. A 1 1/2 inch P-trap kit is only about another $5. (Note 1 1/2 inch diameter is an industry standard for kitchen sink drains so finding the right size should be no problem.) Just be sure the P-trap is listed for a kitche n sink and not a bathroom sink, Bathroom sinks are only 1 1/4 inches and will not fit. You may get a P-trap that is listed as either a 1 1/4 or a 1 1/2 inch. If so, no problem, there are two different sized compression washers in the kit and you simply select the ones you need and discard the others.
        You can find the kits in any Lowes, Home Depot or local hardware store. The prices I quoted are estimates for Lowes or HD and may be a bit more at the hardware, but i wouldnt expect more than a dollar or two difference.
        The whole job is only about 10 minutes for and experienced plumber and one I would expect the average DIY'er could do in about a half hour. Given that you said you finished the cabinets I assume you are faily skilled at simple home repairs so you should have no problem with this one.....Good luck and let us know how you did..r.rinard..Journeyman plumber

Comment

Thanks for all that information. As it turns out we did do the pvc kit and it's all fixed now. No more leaks

Comment

OH no I'm not experienced. This is the first time I've ever refinished and painted kitchen cabinets. They turned out spectacular and I am so proud of the results. Everyone who comes in can't get over how professional and nice they look. I was really surprised at how well I did, but I guess I was patient and followed the rules, sanding and priming are the key factors to a nice painted finished for sure.

Comment

Congratulations on both your cabinets and your plumbing project..looks like we're gonna have to put a tool box on your Christmas wish list..hehehehehhe.

Comment

This forum is excellent. Just last night the exact same thing happened to my kitchen sink. We are first time homeowners and have this resource will be a god send. Hardware store here I come![:X]

Comment

Peteml..

Welcome to the forun and glad we could provide some assistance.

As a new homeowner no doubt you will soon be confronted with many little projects that you formerly just called the maintenance man to fix..now you are the maintenance man..hehehehehehe.

We shall all look forward to hearing from you often and hope we can provide additional assistance.

Just remember one point, "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

Never be ashamed to ask a question.

I think i can speak for all my colleagues when i say that one of the first lessons a practicing tradesman learns is to recognize his limitations and ask before getting in over our head.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =