Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door Opener

[?]My garage door opener (Liftmaster-Professional Line, Formual I) has worked fine for 4-5 years. Suddenly this year it will go down in the cool morning or evening hours, but when the ambient air temp in the garage gets into the 80s-90s, it refuses to go down all the way unles we stand with our finger on the button mounted on the wall. Otherwise, it stops, the lights flash and it comes back up. The man who installed the door, first told me to adjust the downward force on the door. I cranked it up to maximum, but it did not help. Then he says this is a camera problem related to the position of the sun. I think this is bunk, otherwise how does one explain that it has worked fine for several years regardless of sun position or garage temperature. Anybody have an idea as to what is causing this problem?

Just an idea but how about the door hardware and tracks? Has the garage shifted on its foundation? Is there a bogie wheel that jumped the track? What about a broken counterbalance spring? Going up there's little force to bring up the door but going down it has to push the door. I know it sounds screwy because of gravity etc. etc.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

Just an idea but how about the door hardware and tracks? Has the garage shifted on its foundation? Is there a bogie wheel that jumped the track? What about a broken counterbalance spring? Going up there's little force to bring up the door but going down it has to push the door. I know it sounds screwy because of gravity etc. etc.
      [8D]Everything looks good as far as the physical arrangement and functioning. The door works fine in the cool morning hours and in the cooler afternoon and evening hours. It's only in the warmer midday times that it develops the idiosyncracies.

Comment

There is a set of photo-eyes that are mounted near the bottom of your door frame, one on either side. If one doesn't pick up the other's signal, it thinks there is something under the door and will refuse to close it. This would explain the sudden reversal, and the flashing light. I've never heard of sunlight causing a problem, but I suppose it's possible. Make sure the eyes are properly facing each other, they could be off a small amount, which might only make a difference when there is lots of sunlight shining on them.

Could there be some moisture inside one of the units? Perhaps the direct sunlight is heating the area up, making a small amout of water vapor condense on the lens, obscuring it.

Also check the staples that hold the wires up, it sounds unrelated, but sometimes the vibration will cause a staple to rub thru the insulation and cause a problem. (even after 4 years)

One more thing: after the problem is solved, turn down the "downward force" adjustment back down to the minimum needed to close the door properly. If its set too high, the unit will continue to push down even after the door contacts the ground. (or anything else, like someone's foot) This will put a lot of extra wear and tear on the opener and the door.

leone184
        leone184

Comment

Working...
        X
        =