Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concrete basement floor repair

How do I proceed to repair a concrete floor in a basement. When we removed the carpet that had been put there 20 years previously, after a couple of floods, we discovered crumbled floor in some areas and the glue/carpet fibers wouldn't come off in the other areas. Do we put another layer of concrete. Using a solvent for the glue would probably kill us because the ventilation is inadequate. Would it be expensive to just put another layer of cement? Is this something I could do myself, if not a handy person?

Karen

Putting another layer of concrete would solve your problem but you'd have a problem of adhesion. Take a small hammer and ding the concrete surface just to loosen up the top layer and get that gooey mess off. Then force dry the surface. Next use a concrete bonding agent and spread it around - let this dry, then use a skim coat of concrete and sand (mortar mix)Let this dry. Level - lastic might work in this instance as it has its own hardner and bonding agent in the package. Then just do what you have to do.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

Putting another layer of concrete would solve your problem but you'd have a problem of adhesion. Take a small hammer and ding the concrete surface just to loosen up the top layer and get that gooey mess off. Then force dry the surface. Next use a concrete bonding agent and spread it around - let this dry, then use a skim coat of concrete and sand (mortar mix)Let this dry. Level - lastic might work in this instance as it has its own hardner and bonding agent in the package. Then just do what you have to do.
      Karen

Comment

Dear HayZee, Thank you for replying. What exactly is force drying? Or should I look it up somewhere rather than ask you about it? I should mention that the glue/fiber stuff is not wet, if that is why I have to force dry. Again, I appreciate your help.

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

Karen

Comment

hey karen

sorry hayzee done so much cant do it all,ask hubby hell get it right ok

Linda Lee
          Linda Lee

Comment

I think "forcedry" probably has to do with A) making sure any wetness in the concrete is gone so you can see whats going on. B) getting some sort of chemical lifter onto the floor to remove the grunge and glue.

Investigate renting some sort of scrubber or do your best with hot water, a degreaser (I know you mentionned poor ventilation), and paint scrapers & metal brushes.

Get the floor as clean and as dry as you can. If you already live there and you have the time you may want to scour everything and dry it _then watch it for a week or so_. If there is a leak through your floor you should consider trying to stop it at its source.

Otherwise I think force drying probably just means box fans andor heaters.

ls

If you aren't good to yourself, who will be?

Comment

Dear Linus, Thanks for the suggestions. I think you are probably right that some elbow grease is going to be necessary (referring to your second paragraph). The area is huge and I just have to begin...somewhere! I assume the degreaser would be something non-toxic, i.e., no fumes that will kill me? I like your last line, about being good to yourself. I decided this week to begin practicing "extreme self-care". kc

Karen

Comment

Just wondering here....I've seen the 'polishers' used for concrete. I believe there's a style for 'power' troweling realtivley fresh poured concrete. But I blieve there's also a concrete 'buffer' type looking machine that you use a film of water under it to creat a slurry. The grindings from the concrete help create that slurry and smooth down the surface. There are different grades of scrubber type pads similar to regular floor buffers. I have seen them used on terazzo, too. I'd bet you could rent something like that and take all that gunk and old loose concrete off. Well heck, then all you'd have t' do is to clean up that mud!! But there would be a nicely finished floor and no fumes![xx(]

Comment

Working...
                X
                =