Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan wont stop running

The fan on my heat/air refuses to stop, even afer I turn it off. This has been going on for 3 days now. (I haven't turned the heat on at all) Is this costing me a lot of money? it seems af it is just air running through the vents(not hot or cold). The fan is on auto. Any suggestions?

Are you sure that the auto isn't accidentally set to "on", instead of "auto?" It is always nice when it is the simplest solution.

Otherwise, I saw this on misc.consumers.house:

"Many furnaces have a time delay relay controlling the blower motor. When the thermostat calls for heat (contacts closed) the control voltage is applied to the heater in the time delay relay which causes a bi-metal strip to bend, which closes contacts which provides 110v to the blower motor. This delay is about 20 seconds. When the thermostat no longer calls for heat (contacts open)the control voltage is removed from the heater in the time delay relay which causes the bi-metal strip to cool and to straighten and opens the circuit to the blower motor. This takes longer than the on cycle (60 to 90 seconds). The contacts in the time delay relay get pitted over time (every time they open there is a spark across them) and this can cause them to stick in the closed position and cause the blower to run when it is not supposed to. The time delay relay is a replaceable item (about $15) which your local heater service man will replace for you for $100."

Does that help? Any other information that might help?

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Try

Comment

Working...
    X
    =