Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic vs. Acrylic Exterior Coatings

I just got back from a home show where I saw different exterior paint/coating products. The ceramic coating guys claim that their product will last forever and save on energy costs. The acrylic paint guys say that the thick ceramic coatings will get "chaulky" in the Florida sun, will crack, and deteriorate over time.

The cost difference between Acrylic and Ceramic are fairly substantial.

My questions are:

1. Which coating is most durable? And how long can I reasonably expect each to last?
    2. Is it worth the extra money to go with the ceramic coating?
    3. Is the acrylic product taht much more durable than a qulaity latex enamel paint?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Steve

Any coating you put on a surface depends on the condition of the surface. If it is not cleaned to the bare wood, is free of ALL moisture - NOTHING will stick to it! A quality latex or oil base paint will perform very well under most conditions. In my opinion ceramic is a type of porcelain finish and is applied using a two part epoxy vehicle. Acrylic is the same finish you have on your car. One coat may do it - Basically your car has 6 or seven coats of paint before the clear coat and final buffing. Go with the latex finish

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
      Down here in Florida, where paint doesn't seem to last too long, "liquid siding", "ceramic coatings", and "acrylic coatings" are fairly well advertised as "energy efficient, 25+ year paint substitutes". I just had one of the sales reps come out to give a bid on the house. Here are some of the noteworthy comments he made:

1) House paint will only last 3 years in Florida.
      2) His product would last 25+ years
      3) He would only give me an estimate if he could talk with my wife and I (not just me)

Basically, I told him to shove off because of point 3. Any comments on points one and two?

Comment

I have heard of the cermaic paints, but never used or sold them. It's made primarily for the southern states, and would not be appropriate for use in the colder climates. (where I am) From what I understand, these paints have outstanding resistance to heat, and may actually help keep your house cooler inside. Other than that, I don't know of any other benefits.

It's true that the 100% acrylic will give you excellent color retention, and will resist chalking. A 20 to 25 year lifespan is normal. It also tends to be more blister and peel resistant than other paints, and will stick to almost anything, including vinyl and aluminum siding. Most "premium" latex paint lines are acrylic.

I think you were right not to trust the guy who wouldn't give you an estimate. I'm sure he was also making all kinds of amazing claims. The ceramic paint itself is more expensive, but the labor costs should be about the same.

I would use the acrylic paint. Not only will you save money, But you should still enjoy a 20 year lifespan.

leone184
        leone184

Comment

Hi folks,

I want to share some information regarding Liquid Siding. I own two dealerships one in Wilmington, North Carolina and the other in Biddeford, Maine.

Liquid siding works fantastically in any climate but is more prodominant in the southern market because the season to paint is much longer. As far as the duribility goes when comparing Liquid Siding to regular paint there is no other product better than Liquid Siding. Our guarantee is a 25 year non-prorated transferable warrenty that covers labor and materials. In addition, we warrenty that our product will not chip, peel, crack, or chaulk. We base our warrenty on real life testing off of canadien lighthouses we coated in Liquid Siding 30+ years ago. Other products on the market have not been tested outside a laboritory and have not been tested for the amount of time that they say their guarantee is good for.

If anyone has any questions on Liquid Siding feel free to contact me at (910)352-5785 or dial 1(888)NEVERPAINT and you will reach me if you are located in N. Carolina or Maine/New Hampshire. When you call ask for Joey and I will be ready to answer any sort of question.

Comment

Not all Liquid Ceramics are created and neither is the Company who applied it

Hey Steve, I just wanted to say we have come a long way on the ceramic coatings, and is not applied correctly, will cause failure; that goes for any product, that is applied Not within the manufactures specifications.

Like most Ceramic coating direct water or rain before it hits the cure time. This product will have product brake down. I have seen it all the time.

The is a very short time period to apply Liquid Ceramic to exterior walls. The weather has to be as close to normal possible, and with no rain with in 24 hours.

I have a product that will do everything we say it will. Period!

303-945-1638

(Steve) questions are:

1. Which coating is most durable? And how long can I reasonably expect each to last? Latex paint expect 5-6 years normal weather conditions (its all about the weather) 100% Acrylic enamel is the best for paint. Liquid Ceramic is the best for Liquid Ceramic coatings.

2. Is it worth the extra money to go with the ceramic coating? Yes, a coating is always better than paint, again. Ask your painter to do a wet mill test with a tool like this:

3. Is the acrylic product that much more durable than a quality latex enamel paint? 100% Acrylic is better than any Latex paint period. Who ever tells you different is just trying to sell their product over ours.

Remember, it's all in the prep, follow the manufactures recommendations or make sure your painter, follows the manufacture specifications. Remember, if you live in a 4 season, with winter blast every few years. Expect to repaint often...call me before you start any project, I can find you the right painter and coatings if Liquid Ceramic is not what your needs are.

Regards,

Marcus Giavanni
            Expert Authority/Master Painter

Originally posted by shall36 View Post
            I just got back from a home show where I saw different exterior paint/coating products. The ceramic coating guys claim that their product will last forever and save on energy costs. The acrylic paint guys say that the thick ceramic coatings will get "chaulky" in the Florida sun, will crack, and deteriorate over time.

The cost difference between Acrylic and Ceramic are fairly substantial.

My questions are:

1. Which coating is most durable? And how long can I reasonably expect each to last?
            2. Is it worth the extra money to go with the ceramic coating?
            3. Is the acrylic product taht much more durable than a qulaity latex enamel paint?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X
            =