Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet double flushes

we recently had to take the toilet out to remove some blocks my son flushed. Now the toilet double flushes? Any idea why this could be happening?

By the phrase double flush I persume you mean when you depress the flush hande it begins a normal flush, the water goes down in the bowl, then rises high again, and then goes down.

If that is the case, count the kids blocks. I would bet there is still one floating on the water in the trap. As the flush begins the water level in the trap rises, the block floats up blocking the flow which causes the water to again rise in the bowl, and slowly it will seep past the block until the bowl level is correct again. That is a common occurance when a floatable object such as a childs toy or a pill bottle gets stuck in the trap.

Comment

I have the same problem, but I don't have any kids that have lost a block in the toilet. My neighbor replaced all the "guts" of the inside tank of the toilet. As soon as he left, it started to flush twice. Then, about three months ago, my second toilet started flushing twice out of the blue. Nothing had been changed in it at all. I have talked to several plumbers and handymen and they have all said I needed to replace the flapper. That has been done on both toilets and I still have the problem. I have turned down the water valve by the floor and loosened the screws on the "main" toilet part with no cure to the problem. Any suggestions on this one? Thanks!

Comment

During a normal flush, when the flush handle is depressed the inside arm of the flush handle pulls up on the chain or strap attached to the flapper. Once the flapper begins to rise it has an internal air chamber that causes it to float upright until the full charge of water in the tank is discharged down the flush valve to the bowl.

Once the flapper drops back into place on the flush valve the weight of the water in the tank presses down on it holding it in place. I don't see how it would be possible for the flapper to lift a second time unless there were some physical force pulling up on the chain.

I would begin by taking the lid off the tank, then flush the toilet and observe the flapper action to insure it is operating correctly. If it is rising, releasing the water then falling back into place and staying there as the tank refills, we are sure the problem is not the flapper or any tank components.

Comment

Actually, when the lever is pushed to flush the toilet, the flapper lifts up, the water flushes twice and then the flapper falls back into place. It is as if the flapper takes a long time to fall back into place. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Check the little holes on the underside of the bowl rim. It sounds as if part of the water is discharging directly into the trap to start the flush, but the water that is intended to rinse the bowl is being delayed.

Comment

This is exactly my problem. the flapper stays up, the toilet flushes twice before it goes back down. Now when you said to check the little holes on the underside of the rim, whar exactly are we checking for?? Thanks

Comment

It is usually a benefit for the flapper to stay open longer, especially on the low flow toilets that are installed nowadays, since these only provide a 1.6 gallon flush you want the flapper to stay open longer to get a good flush. But, if you want it to close quicker you can move the float that's on the chain that's connected to the flapper. Move the float up the chain towards the handle. This will prevent the flapper from staying open as long. Though you won't be emptying the entire tank of water.

Comment

If you look up under the rim of the toilet bowl there is a series of little holes where some of the water is discharged to rinse the bowl during the flushing action. Often those holes get clogged with minerals or scum and retard the action. You can use a piece of stiff wire, like old coat hanger wire to make sure all those holes are open.

Comment

Ok, I tried that and it didn't work. Basically the same story with my toilet. It started running, and sounded like it was flushing when no one was in the bathroom, so we replaced the flapper, and that is when the double flushing started. Used the wire coat hanger, CLR, tried adjusting the chain, tried to slow the refill down... nothing seems to be working. We are going to try a new flapper. Unless someone has another suggestion.

Comment

Well, only to respond to my own question....

I have found the answer!!! (Leave it to a woman!!!) The answer is... for those of you who have bought a new flapper, and that is when the problem started.... you have a 1.6 gallon toilet, and.... you probably bought a 3.5 gallon flapper. So... I guess I was right in buying a new flapper. Hope that works for everyone else!

Comment

Thanks for letting us know the resolution. I am sure other members will find it useful.

Try
                        Try

Comment

Wow, they're rated for gallons? I never noticed that before, thought they were all pretty generic besides some that are brand specific. Thanks Mathie, Congrats on your fix.

Comment

Whenever possible I just use the RED "Korky" and i have never had a problem with them on either 3.5 or 1.6 gal flushes.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how we can do something almost daily and yet not really pay attention. I just discovered that Fluidmaster has a new flapper out that has a rigid plastic frame and a rubber flapper.

On the top of the flapper there is a index from min 1- max of 9 to adjust for different flush rates. You simply rotate the rubber flapper on the plastic mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =