Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic Fan - Dripping

I recently purchased and had professionally installed a power roof
    ventilator (attic fan). The day after the installation it rained - yes it was a heavy rain and we have had quite bad thunderstorms in the
    area. I noticed a dripping when I checked the attic during the rain storm. I was standing under the fan in the attic.
    Looking up you see the motor box with the fan blades behind the motor box. From the motor box is the electrical coils that connect to the junction box lower on the beam in the attic.
    Several drips eminated from the place where the motor box connects to the coil. The water drips came straight down onto the insulation on the attic floor. The rain lasted about 1/2 hr and we had about .5 inch of rain. I probably had an eye dropper full (from the drips. There was no water (that I saw) around the hole cut in the roof to install the fan - only the drips.

Is this normal with a heavy rain? Do Attic Fans drip if there is wind and heavy rain?
    Or is there an installation problem?

I would have to say you have an improper installation! I have installed a few and you would have to have sideways rain "tornado strenght" to create sideways rain. If you cant get on the roof to insure proper installation I would call that company back out and explain you problem. I am sure they will be more than helpful.

16x80

Comment

16x80 - Thanks, I took yours and several others advice, emailed with GAF technical support (fan manufacturer). Basically found out it was improper installation (top of the fan flashing was not placed under the shingles - should have been). The roofer from my complex added a row of shingles (top and sides) and resealed the corners. During the last thunderstorm rain had some drops on the inside of the mushroom cover of the fan (yes very windy again) but no dripping. During a regular rain last nite no inside drops on the cover, no dripping. Spoke to the installer today - they will refund my installation and pay for the cost of the roofer (to shingle over the top/sides of the fan). Hoping this is it - but everyone has told me - yes you can get some rain and some snow (from blowing) but ok as it evaporates in the attic. Thanks for the advice, any other stories appreciated.

Comment

Well good! Not every home improvment is a horror story of shoddy workmanship! I would have to commend the install company for there reimbursment of the installation fees. It is rare to find a company that would do that! I am sure they got on there installation crew for that mishap!

Glad you got it fixed.

16x80

Comment

Working...
        X
        =