Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fixture box

I just moved into a new home and wanted to replace an overhead light fixture. I removed the old fixture to find it was literally just screwed into the drywall ceiling with a wire. There is no fixture box...nothing...

I want to install a new light there..but have no idea how to mount a box..etc.. I dont see any studs to mount a new box to!

HELP

Wow, I thought I'd seen a lot, (like a ceiling fan box held up by one 1" roofing nail that was nailed vertically...).

Yes, I would definately replace this. If it was just screwed into the drywall, I'm assuming it was just a light.

If possible, I'd go up in your attic, and try to build a frame or header of some sort for you to mount a nice firm box to, like this:

If that is impossible, you can go to the hardware store and get an "Old Work" 4" ceiling box.
    I've never used a round old work box before, but if they are anything like the outlet boxes, to install them, you cut the right sized hole in your ceiling (I think they give you a template). After inserting your wire into the box, you insert the box in the hole, and start tightening the mounting screws. behind the drywall, clamps on the box open up, and will pull closer to the drywall, to clamp it in firmly. Then its just like having an original box there.

Let me know if you need more information.

~Jonathon Reinhart
    ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

If you don't have access to the ceiling from above, there are retrofit box's you can install that have an arm on them, once inserted into the hole from below they can be adjusted to span between the joinst, twisting them tighter to get a good fit. You can usually find them at Home Depot. Here's a link to show you one
      Find innovation for commercial, residential and industrial electrical wiring. Explore Pass & Seymour switches, receptacles, GFCI outlets, USB chargers and more.

If you do have access from above then installing a piece of wood like said above or installing a box similar to the expanding types on the links that can be screwed into the sides of the joist.

Comment

There is another box made that has a sort of "W" bracket on the back with a center crew to tighten it. Cut a hole pop in the box with wires and tighten the screw.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =