Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Board Drywall: which way does it face?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Board Drywall: which way does it face?

Ok here i am moving on to the next phase of the bathroom project installing the greenboard in the shower. does the green side face the wet side?
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

The green side is the finish side of the board. Attach it to studding with green side out.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

The green side is the finish side of the board. Attach it to studding with green side out.
      thanks Man!

It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

You shouldn't be using greenboard in the wet shower area. It's not any better than drywall and it will get wet and soggy and fall apart on you. Use a cement board product such as Hardibacker. It's water proof and the only thing that should be used in a wet environment such as a shower or tub enclosure. Not only does it not deteriorate but it protects the stud from getting wet and rotting out. It's sold at Home Depot and very easy to install. Don't put all that work into your shower and then have to redo it in a few years. Here's a link to the Hardibacker.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

You shouldn't be using greenboard in the wet shower area. It's not any better than drywall and it will get wet and soggy and fall apart on you. Use a cement board product such as Hardibacker. It's water proof and the only thing that should be used in a wet environment such as a shower or tub enclosure. Not only does it not deteriorate but it protects the stud from getting wet and rotting out. It's sold at Home Depot and very easy to install. Don't put all that work into your shower and then have to redo it in a few years. Here's a link to the Hardibacker.
          I was going to put up the green board above the shower/sides and a 2 x 4 section of ceiling directly above/inside the shower and then tile it. what do you think? I thought about that very issue since GB is only water resistant.....thanks

Comment

If you're only using the GB for the ceiling and then the couple of feet above the shower side walls, then that's ok, shouldn't be a problem then. What are you gonna use to adhere the tile with. Thinset mortar on the cement board is recommend, but Type 1 Mastic can also be used. Just make sure if you decide to use Mastic that you verify it's Type 1 only and not Type 2. Also make sure you buy the alkalyd free cement board mesh tape to tape the joints.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

If you're only using the GB for the ceiling and then the couple of feet above the shower side walls, then that's ok, shouldn't be a problem then. What are you gonna use to adhere the tile with. Thinset mortar on the cement board is recommend, but Type 1 Mastic can also be used. Just make sure if you decide to use Mastic that you verify it's Type 1 only and not Type 2. Also make sure you buy the alkalyd free cement board mesh tape to tape the joints.
              mastic for the GB for the ceiling too? can I use or should I use the quickset for GB?

Comment

If it were mine I would use the Mastic for the GB areas up high on the walls and ceiling. Reason is, that mastic will grab and hold a whole lot better on the ceiling than quickset will. Last thing you want is for the tiles to sag off.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =