Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an odd one!

[?] My wife and I went to hang a mirror above the mantle in our living room! It's an old, heavy antique mirror.

When I went to install the wall anchor, I went through the sheetrock and hit brick from the fireplace I guess???

The self drilling wall anchor was filed down to nothing ...

Anybody have any ideas on how to hang the mirror? What will hold in what I assume is the brick from the chimney??

Any ideas...are welcome...proven ones are of course better! Thanks.

[?][?][?][?][?]

If that anchor was perfectly placed on center, chances are you may hit a stud. Unless you're SURE it brick. I'd try putting in a short deck screw in that hole and see if it takes. If it does, GREAT!!! All the better for that mirror! If you find it really IS brick directly in back of that drywall, we need to come up with a plan 'B'. Let us know what you find.

Comment

If you do determine that there is brick immediately under the sheetrock you might consider using a TAPCON Screw to hold your Anchor.

TAPCON screws are hardened steel screws that have little teeth on the edges of the screw threads that are designed to hold the screw in a masonary material.

They can be purchased in packs or singularly at any hardware store and they will have the appropriate pilot bit for the size screw you select.

To install a TAPCON you first drill a pilot hole with the appropriate masonary bit then screw the screw directly into the pilot hole in the same manner as you would install a wood screw. (No drop in anchors required)

My only reservation with TAPCON screws is that you better be proud of where you put it the first time because they can be rather difficult to remove once they are screwed into a masonary material.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =