Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital video recorder...

Just starting to look around at what the options are, and I'd like to clarify one question before I get much deeper into it.

Do all DVRs require a subscription service like TIVO, or can you get a DVR that works like an old-timey VCR, just recording whatever signal comes in? The few I've looked at online all require an internet connection of some kind. I'm I just looking at the wrong ones?

- Wm

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

I can't say if all require a subscription, but I imagine they do. The only workaround I know of are either linux based open source solutions or using wintv to record in windows on your computer. That works pretty well, but may not offer the convenience you desire.

My Tivo doesn't require an internet connection, it has the option of dialing up to their service using a phone line each night.

If you are interested, we can discuss computer based options. I am recording an input signal with a winTV card and software. I can schedule recordings, and then play them back on the computer, hook a lcd or dlp tv to to my computer to play back that way or burn to dvd.

Tivo makes it easy, and is probably worth the money. I bought a lifetime subscription, it was pretty cheap. It does have it's problems though, and is by no means a complete solution.

Try
    Try

Comment

quote:Originally posted by seamlyne

Just starting to look around at what the options are, and I'd like to clarify one question before I get much deeper into it.

Do all DVRs require a subscription service like TIVO, or can you get a DVR that works like an old-timey VCR, just recording whatever signal comes in? The few I've looked at online all require an internet connection of some kind. I'm I just looking at the wrong ones?

- Wm

Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.
      I just got the DVR from Comcast after upgrading to an HDTV. The HD box from Comcast was $5 more per month and the DVR was another $5 per month. It is fantastic and I would highly recommend it.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for letting us know, randyman8, and welcome to the forum! I recently got the hdtv dvr from my cable provider as well. I think the price is similar. I love it! There is nothing like watching a movie in HD, the picture and sound are amazing. And the convenience of having it recorded can't be beat! Sports are great on it too.

Try
        Try

Comment

I just got my DirecTivo unit. Love it!
          I had a standalone Tivo and Cox Cable but couldn't deal with the restrictions of only one tuner.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
          <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

I imagine any dvr would require a subscription service with the copyright laws in effect. Even if its only for your own use, it's easy to duplicate dvd's.
            I bought a dvd-vcr player and found I couldn't even copy my own vcr tapes on dvd.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =