Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit Breaker

I live in a condo that has an older Culter-Hammer Box that uses an outdated breaker. It is a type CH 20 amp single. Apparently they do not make these types any more.

One has gone bad. Is there a fix to this without having to replace the entire box?

I'm pretty sure a SQ 'D' HOMELINE breaker will fit into your panel. Take your breaker to an electrical supply house and they should be able to match it for you. Make sure you also tell them the panel model number.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

I'm pretty sure a SQ 'D' HOMELINE breaker will fit into your panel. Take your breaker to an electrical supply house and they should be able to match it for you. Make sure you also tell them the panel model number.
      Where would you get one of these?

Thanks for the response

Comment

Take your breaker to an electrical supply house and they should be able to match it for you. Make sure you also tell them the panel model number

Comment

Take your breaker to an electrical supply house and they should be able to match it for you. Make sure you also tell them the panel model number
          Thanks again.

Comment

I'm trying to remember if the cutler hammer breaker uses a metal hook at the backside and a roundish stab at the front. Square D I think has a roundish clamp at the back and a roundish stab at the front.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

I'm trying to remember if the cutler hammer breaker uses a metal hook at the backside and a roundish stab at the front. Square D I think has a roundish clamp at the back and a roundish stab at the front.
              Yes it has a metal clip at the back. But I do not know if it is the same one as the Square D. The metal clip comes over the rail to attach. The model type is the CH. I have talked to a electrical supplier and said that he did not know of a compatible type.

Comment

check out this url:

Comment

Here's a couple of links to places that sell the CH model of Cutler Hammer breakers. I know they still make them. Have you tried Home Depot, they carry CH also.

You can also contact Cutler Hammer direct, they're now owned or merged with eaton corp.

Comment

Here's a couple of links to places that sell the CH model of Cutler Hammer breakers. I know they still make them. Have you tried Home Depot, they carry CH also.

You can also contact Cutler Hammer direct, they're now owned or merged with eaton corp.

Unfornunately they have changed the design of the breaker and I have an older model that has the metal clip on the tail end. They do not make those any more.

I am assuming that they were made in the 70's.

Comment

I'll check some of my contacts around here - what size did you need?

Comment

Go to Home Depot and take a look at the Square D QO breakers, take your breaker with you and compare the two next to each other. The QO's have a clip on the back and front. Now I'm curious

Comment

Go to Home Depot and take a look at the Square D QO breakers, take your breaker with you and compare the two next to each other. The QO's have a clip on the back and front. Now I'm curious
                          On the actual breaker it is a type CH. There is nothing after the CH. Here is a stupid question, I have looked all over the box and there is no master power switch. Can I unscrew the wire to the breaker without turning off the master power?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

I'll check some of my contacts around here - what size did you need?
                            20 Amp single pole.
                            Thanks.

Comment

You should be able to flip the breaker off - if it is jammed in the on position, be very careful and unscrew the screw don't touch anything metal with the screwdriver and pull the wire out. If there is a load on it there will be a spark! Then pry out the breaker from the center stab and unhook the backside. Just be very careful!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =