Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposal won't stop

My garbage disposal operates by covering and twisting cap that starts it and stops it. Now when I turn it off it by twisting and removing this cap it won't stop running. Can you help?

cre8f

Welcome to the Home Repair Forum

Your disposal's cap has a magnet in it that when twisted the right way makes contact with a magnetic switch that turns it on. This switch is located in the collar of the disposal. As for repair I am not sure, You could take your Brand, Model, Serial #'s get on the Internet and see if the manufacturer's web site has a link for available parts suppliers.

Sounds to me you have General Electric brand disposal!

Please keep us updated with info, We are here to help as much as possible.

16x80

Comment

Thanks for the feedback...I have a Insinkerator PRO-17-0, I have called regarding service / repair...it's 10 years old and well past warranty...the manufacturer says its the switch assembly...enclosed in a small black box at the rear of the disposal...I can't reach behind it so I will have to remove it from the sink to access it (not sure how)..the part I'm told is $23 and service would be an additional $120...they say it's fairly easy to replace...I'm willing but unsure and worried I'll do more harm than good...please advise.

Comment

Great I was dead on...

Get the part # from the manufacture and go to your local parts house and buy it yourself. It is easy to replace, for a 20 dollar part I would be willing to repair it to get another year or 5 out of it.

16x80

Comment

Great...I'll proceed...not sure how to remove the disposal though.

Comment

You will want to disconnect the power by shutting down the outlet to the kitchen via the breaker panel. you then take a screw driver and at the collar of the disposal where it comes out of the sink is a ring with 4 hoops on it, stick your screw driver into one of those hoops and use it for leverage to twist the ring about a quarter turn this is the locking mech for the disposal and the collar that hooks to your sink. ( all disposals have this ring )( don't remove the top portion of the collar from the sink its un-needed to be removed ) When you unlock the ring be sure to support the disposal because it will drop down to the bottom of your cabinet, You can then rotate the unit to access the switch on the back side of the neck of the disposal.

If I am correct you should have been done in no time, if there is a slight variation in my technique then you might come back and explain.

Good Luck

16x80

Comment

Working...
            X
            =