Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage disposal problem

My garbage disposal will run for only two or three seconds before shutting down. Happens from the wall switch and well as when the reset button pushed. Anybody have anything like this happen to them?

Thanks

massage131

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

Sounds to me like your motor is drawing more amps than normal and it is kicking out on an overload. The motor gets hot , Kicks out on the overload, Cools down and works until it kicks out again.

I would suggest a bad Disposal. There is no repair for it, Buy a new one. Sorry!

16x80

Comment

I think I am having the same problem. On mine, there is one of those wall outlet breaker things (whatever it's called) and when I flip the switch to the garbage disposal, it trips the breaker and I have to press the little reset button on the outlet. Pressing the button allows me to have another try, but it trips the breaker immediately.

I have also waited several days before trying it again, so I'm sure it's not a heat problem. This has been a long time problem in our home. In a week or so, the problem will stop happening and the disposal will work fine for a few days, and then the problem will start happening again.

I'd rather not get a new disposal, as this one seems pretty new. How about getting a breaker that could handle the extra load? it's like a 6 amp motor. is that an option?

Comment

Donboy,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a GFCI outlet on the wall. Does it have a 'test' and a 'reset' on it? You may just have a faulty/overly sensitive GFCI outlet. As I have mentioned on other posts... the more the GFCI is tripped the easier it is to trip it in the future. I would suggest that you replace the outlet first ( $ 10-15 ) and see if that helps. Take note of which wires go where on the old outlet and put then in the same place on the new one. Make sure you turn the breaker off at the panel first.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
        'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

I will try that. And yes, its been tripped a zillion times with all the problems its been giving me. Thanks for the advice. I will certainly give it a shot.

Comment

Just wanted to let you guys know that this site is awesome. I had the same problem with my badger 1 disposal and after trying what you guys recommended (reset, then allen wrench) the unit purred back to life

Thanks,
            Aaragon

Comment

Working...
            X
            =