Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Splitters

My audio cables from my VCR to the amp have two male plugs that plug into the vcr. I would also like to run the sound cables from my new dvd recorder to the amp without installing another set of cables. Do they make an audio splitter that has a female connector that the existing two male plugs could plug into and then have two sets of two male plugs to plug into the vcr and the dvd? If so, where could I purchase said splitter?

Thanks!

Check Radio Shack and Belden Wire Co site. At the worse case you may have to make a set - It's not difficult. What you'll need are RCA type bulkhead connectors and RCA type plugs and short pieces of shielded audio cables.

Comment

Radio Shack should have all the audio stuff you'll need and components parts to make up your own. For audio - be careful because some units use the final transistor as the output device and if it isn't impedanced matched you could burn up the transistor. The transformer outputs are a little more forgiving but you should impedance match the outputs. (i.e. 8 ohms, 4 ohms etc.) Porcelain or ceramic wirewound resistors are best and connected series or series parallel gets the impedance matched.

Comment

You definatly don't want to use a splitter like you describe to join the vcr and dvd players to the amp. You need to separate the two devices when one is being used. To do this all you need is an A/B switch. Radio shack carries them in 2 input and 4 input models. You need to install a set of RC cables from the vcr to the A/B switch, and a set of cables from the DVD to the A/B switch. Then one set of cables is provided from the output of the A/B switch to the amp. This way depending on which device you want to use, you just push the switch on the A/B switch to select A or B.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =