Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on who to call

Any suggestions on who to call about the following? Would you call a concrete company, a water sealing company, contractor who?
    Our basement floor is cracking and water is seeping through the cracks. Someone mentioned that there may be an uderground spring? Help! Any suggesstions on correcting the problem?[?]

Try finding a dowser and have him do his thing to the basement. If he finds a spring, it's undermining the house through erosion. At this stage I don't know what to do. buy a rowboat?

Comment

I would contact a structural engineer who is familiar with the geology in your region. You water problem could be resulting from ground water seeping down the foundation wall, under the footer and ultimately up through the floor. That is common in places with extremely high water tables. In that case the problem can often be fixed by installing footer drains on the foundation.

On the other hand..

In my hometown in Salem Ohio they built a four story school building in 1906. About ten years later it was discovered that there was a huge spring and quicksand under the structure. They had to take up the gynmnasium floor and install a drain, then they slant drilled under the foundation and installed well points under the building with huge sump pumps in little sheds in the front yard.

When the building was first built there was two steps from ground level up to the first floor at the entranceways.

By 1935 the steps had been removed and the ground floor was level with the ground outside.

When i entered Jr.High in that building in 1960 stairwells had been excavated and the origanal steps set back in place, only reversed this time to make two steps down.

One month ago I happened to go by that building an noticed that the ground floor window sills are now level with the ground.

Maybe in another 30 years it will only be a two story building..heheheheh.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =