Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioner Freezing

Our air conditioner is completely frozen. We haven't been here in months, and the filter is pretty dirty. Is that the problem? Not only is the filter frozen, but there is a sheet of ice underneath. How long would it take for that to happen? Will waiting until it thaws and changing the filter fix it? Or is it something else? We are at the beach on the Gulf of Mexico, it is pretty hot!!

Thanks for any input!

Try

Troy

Yes I think changing the filter will fix your problem.

Too many times I have seen dirty filters or coils with no filter clog up the air flow, This in turn slows air flow which wont allow the refrigerant to properly turn back into a gas to return to the condenser!(out door unit)

When your all defrosted make sure for a few days that you have no ice forming and you should be good to go.

I recommend changing the filter on a furnace or air handler every 30 days at a minimum. Dirty or not, It only makes good sense!

Just a beach house you spend a few months a year at? Can you hire a maintenance man, Family, Friend to change the filter?

Their are filters that last a year, They are 4 to 5 inches thick and have deep pleats. You might consider upgrading.

16x80

Comment

16x80, thanks for the reply! You are a blessing to this forum!

It was so warm in here that it defrosted overnight. We replaced the filter and turned it on, and it is already cooler. I am keeping an eye on it to make sure it isn't a more serious problem.

We usually come down fairly often for weekends, so keeping it changed shouldn't be a problem. We have a service contract, but now we are told that this isn't part of it. I am going to make sure that it is changed more frequently.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Try

Comment

Thank you for the kind words.

Your Welcome

16x80

Comment

Working...
        X
        =