Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Question

What is the best way to purchase windows? Should I go with windows that are custom made to fit the size of the window, or with the closest available size? Which one is a better quality and durability and insulation value?

Thanks
    Jason

Jtfoxman
    Jtfoxman

That all depends on if you're installing new construction windows or replacement windows. If you already have windows installed then it's not necessary to replace the entire frame. Installing new construction windows can vary a bit in size and can be made to fit buy furring out the cavity. Replacement windows must be sized exactly though.

Here's a bunch of links to tell you about windows and the various things to look for when choosing a good window like low E glass, double pane, argon filled, etc.

Replacement windows .com is your resource for window information. Ask our volunteer pros questions in our forum and get answers today!

Please note: This older article by our former faculty member remains available on our site for archival purposes. Some information contained in it may be outdated. An update on how today’s high-tech windows work and what to look for when you make your next purchase. by Paul Fisette – © 2003 When we choose windows for a […]

Comment

I have old (30+ yrs) Anderson single panes in this ol' house. Found out there's a number 'tattooed' on the lower left of the upper sash. Gave Anderson customer service numbe a call and found there are replacement kits available! THe kits consist of new l&r tracks, upper and lower seals, and new double glazed sashes! I believe a few other brands offer similar kits. And..these sashes tilt in for easy cleaning, as well! Would sure beat having to not remove/destroy interior or exterior molding or second floor work!

Comment

I made the mistake of getting the near fit windows once, but never again. With the near fit you are confronted with a major chore of trying to site build trim to fill them in and look good. Plan on about an hour or more to make the additional trim.

For the same money you can order the exact fit windows which then almost drop in place, and look good from the start.

The down side is that when you custom order you will have to wait ten to fifeteen days for delivery, but I guarantee, if you put in one near fit, then put in one exact fit, you will never debate the issue again.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I think I'll be going with the exact fit replacement windows.

Jtfoxman
          Jtfoxman

Comment

Working...
          X
          =