Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicotine stained walls.

Can I paint over nicotine stained walls without first removing the nicotine? If not, what do you recommend to remove the nicotine.

Severely nicotene stained walls will bleed through water based latex paints. I would first wash down the walls with TSP (tri-sodium-Phosphate) which is readily available at all hardwares, home supply or paint stores in a powdered form and used like an ordinary household powdered cleaner.

Comment

There's also a great product called Soilax that will clean the walls up. It says no need to rinse, but rinsing is advised. It's also found at paint stores and even some grocery stores in the cleaning isle. Here's a link to show:

If it's been a long time since these walls have been painted, then I suggest you prime them first, this'll ensure a better coverage with less latex. A good primer are the Zinsser products sold at Home Depot. As for a latex, use the best quality paint you can afford. You really do get what you pay for with paints.

Comment

No more Soilax

I've heard good things about Soilax and have been disappointed when I couldn't find it in my stores. I was both pleased and then disappointed again to find the link provided by kactuskid. The product has been discontinued and is no longer being manufactured by the company.

Comment

Wash the walls down with a mild bleach and water solution then as previously suggested paint the walls with a primer paint (Zinsser is by far one of the better options) make sure you pick the oil based Zinsser it will form a vapor barrier once dried and then will aid in moisture problems in the bathroom in the future.

Good Luck.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I have always used Soilex to clean walls. The house I moved into was coated with nicotene and it came right off with Soilex and you don't have to rinse it. The paint goes on better too. I just ordered a product that is supposed to take the place of Soilex called Soil Max. I will post the result.

As to painting over nicotene, never tried it.

Comment

I ordered a product called Soil Max that is supposed to replace Soilex. I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =