Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD-R vs DVD+R

I have a DVD recorder that will record in either of these modes as well as the -rw and the +rw. Can anyone please give me a really simple explanation of any advantages using one or the other of these DVD recording formats/discs?

DVD -RW is a format which requires pre-formatting before the actual recoding phase
    DVD +RW is a preformatted disk.
    Both disks can be re-recorded over 1,000 times

Comment

HayZee, part of my question got cut off. What is the advantages/disadvantages of the DVD-R vs. the DVD+R?
      Thanks

Comment

According to the information i just received from a tech rep at circuit city a DVD-R is strictly a DVD recorder, while a DVD+R has both record and playback ability. However it is common for manufacturers to use both DVD-R and DVD+R to indicate a DVD player that has record capability.

Comment

Well, I found some standalone (home) DVD players will only play one format or the other. Mine likes DVD-R and will not play +R. One good way to check with your player is to go here:

Type in your DVD player model and it can tell you what format your player can play.

This is of course assuming you are burning things like home movies and such and not data disks.

Comment

In short, DVD-R disks are compatible with more standalone players than DVD+R. Source: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup
              According to the information i just received from a tech rep at circuit city a DVD-R is strictly a DVD recorder, while a DVD+R has both record and playback ability. However it is common for manufacturers to use both DVD-R and DVD+R to indicate a DVD player that has record capability.
              What does that mean? What good is a DVD if you can only record on it but you can't play back?!? Moral- Don't talk to that tech rep anymore!
              Go to the sites that JVTRAN suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by suprheat
                What does that mean? What good is a DVD if you can only record on it but you can't play back?!? Moral- Don't talk to that tech rep anymore!
                Go to the sites that JVTRAN suggested.

tech reps are crazy for the most part what you really need to know is that most dvd players of this generation play dvd+ so if your reader can read both + and - then you will always be able toplay your movies but when sharing your movies with others you will have to be careful some bards like Apex and Sony will player darn near anything. My advice as long as you have a burner you'll never be broke

Comment

DVD- Probably Best!

You'll want to consider WHERE you'll be playing the discs you make. A lot of the portables and stand alone players only read DVD-. However, most are quickly coming up to speed to play either format. To continue using older equipment, portable dvd players, etc. you might want to stick with DVD- for the time being. The cost is the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =