Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding Cable & Componet Wires

We recently purchased a plasma television and had the mount and television installed above our fireplace. We had alot of difficulty with the installer and he ended up not finishing he job of hiding all cable and component wires (he had promised to put them in the wall). This job is now left to me and I don't know much about this. Our home is very old and has very narrow walls (2"-2.5" thick). I'd like to run the wires from the television to a shelf I had installed on the wall 3 feet away. I have no idea how to even start this. Do I cut a whole in the wall put the wires in and patch? Can it be that simple?

Have you looked into wire molding? It is a container you mount on the walls that can hold the wires. If there are no studs in between the tv and the shelf, then you might be able to drill a small hole in the walls and run the wires through that. If there are studs between the locations, that might be pretty tricky.

Is it sheetrock on the walls, plaster or something else? Do you have the paint to match the walls? You *could* cut a small strip in the shelf, push the wires through into the wall, and then patch over it and paint to cover it up. That would be messy, though, especially if you don't know much about drywall repair. A better solution along those lines would be to cut holes in the wall that you could get your fingers in to guide the wires behind the walls, but you would still have some patching to do and it would still require a bigger hole to access any stuf in between.

Let us know what kind of walls you have and we'll try to help. Welcome to the forum!

Try
    Try

Comment

Working...
    X
    =