Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icemaker not filling with water

My 2-3 year old Whirlpool Gold side-by-side fridge ice maker froze up recently. I ended up taking it out to thaw and clean it. I reinstalled it. The scraper, or whatever you call the thingy in the middle, rotates (the lever is in the on position) but no water is filling the tray. The water line appears clear...no freezing. Any suggestions on what to try?

First locate the water inlet tube where it passes through the back of the refrigerator cabinet wall. Use a small screwdriver or other suitable probe to check that tube and make sure it is not obstructed by ice.

Look on the bottom right hsnd side of the Ice Maker control head and you should find a small plastic or rubber cap that is snapped into the test plug.

Pry the cap off and you will see two small holes.

You will need a piece of insulated electrical wire about 2" to 3" long.

strip the ends of the wire back about 3/8" and bend the wire into a U shape.

While carefully holding the wire by the insulated section insert one tip of the wire into each hole. The wire will contact the internal test points to bypass the internal thermostat and start the harvest cycle. Keep the wire in place for about 15 seconds, or until you see the wire lift arm begin to rise and the cube rakers start to rotate.

The lift arm will go to the full up postition and the cube rakers should rotate through the cude mold.

Carefully feel the underside of the cube mold. The cube harvest mold heater should be on and the mold should be getting hot. Be very careful as that heater gets very hot, very quickly.

As the cube rakers near the 10 o'clock position you should hear the water fill valve solenoid activate and it should begin filling water into the mold.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. First, I checked the inlet tube and it is clear.

Second, I looked for a test plug and cannot see one, or anything that looks like it might cover one. The ice maker does appear to go through the regular cycle that you describe whenever I push the arm all the way to the down or on position. At the end of the cycle, the lever arm slowly rises back up, though not fully in the off position. It just doesn't activate to fill with water.

Comment

quote:It just doesn't activate to fill with water.
        Has anyone checked the water fill valve to see if it is getting power or not when the icemaker should be filling? Doing so should rule out either the water valve or the icemaker as the cause.

You can read about how appliance water work at the following link:

LINK > http://www.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=801

Dan O.
        FREE major home appliance related information for consumers including money saving appliance purchasing reports and appliance service tips and appliance repair parts information and links to online suppliers of appliance parts and new appliances. Extensive links to other sites and articles relating to major home appliances.

The Appliance Information Site
        =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =