Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire ultra quiet III Dishwasher whistling

I have a Frigidaire ultra quiet III Dishwasher that is generating a high frequency sound like whistling.
    - I removed the impeller cover, checking for any reason of the noise, found nothing, there are no shows of parts rubbing (it sound like that but high frequency)
    -removed the circulation motor and tested it alone, no noise
    -reinstalled it, turned it on, NO NOISE ... I thought the problem was gone... so I reassembled everything, turned it on and .. the f noise again.
    -dumped the water, tested again without water... No Noise
    -added water... the noise is there again. also I see that the pump power is lower than normal
    Unit is four years old, we use it once a week
    What is happening?
    ah.. I never dissaembled the macerator/barrel front/impeller assembly, well. I tryied but it didn't separate easy so I just left it like that (I didn't want to breake it)
    Ideas?
    Thanks

Thanks, Yes, Thanks

quote:Frigidaire ultra quiet III Dishwasher
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to determine which Frigidaire dishwasher design you have, they have had numerous different ones over the years. What is needed is its *model number* as written on the appliance's identification tag.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

quote:generating a high frequency sound like whistling... also I see that the pump power is lower than normal
    That might be caused by a restriction in water flow. Maybe look for something blocking some of the ports of the spray arm(s)?

Dan O.

The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you for answering!!!!
      the model is frt22tseb1 according to the warranty card
      According to the service data sheet that was close to the timerinside the control panel is model FDB636 or FDB679 please let me know if this info is enough. The attached file was taken from the service data sheet

Thanks

Thanks, Yes, Thanks

Comment

I used your link to know where the tag is and found the model number
        is FDB679GFC2

About the spray arms... the sound is there with the arms in or out

Thanks, Yes, Thanks

Comment

You know what? I guess I saw some dust over the black shaft of the pump motor, the sound could be friction between the shaft and the impeller.
          I have to check more job offers on those job searchers because no job no money for home

probably tomorrow will dissassemble the system again and check
          but friends: do not stop sending me probable solutions

Thanks

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Techno55
            the model is frt22tseb1 according to the warranty card
            That happens to be the model number of a Frigidaire top-freezer refrigerator. BTW. That is exactly the reason we prefer that information to be obtained directly off the appliance's model and serial number tag so there are no errors.

quote:the [real] model number is FDB679GFC2... I guess I saw some dust over the black shaft of the pump motor, the sound could be friction between the shaft and the impeller.
            I think that may be a good possibility although I don't know what would cause it on that pump and motor design, sorry. It will likely have to be looked into to determine the cause.

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Hello friends

I disassembled that section (impeller -barrel- motor again but no dust this time, no idea what happens
              I am puzzled because the shaft does not have the hole and thread for the screw that secures the impeller, so it looks that the impeller is connected to one of those little pieces like the "barrel front" do you know how to get more information on how to disassemble that section? (barrel rear-macerator-barrel front). did you see the graph I attached? Please do not give Up. do you know if frigidaire could give me imformation?
              Thanks

Thanks

Comment

quote:do you know if frigidaire could give me information?
                Frigidaire does have a service manual for that design of dishwasher (see the following link). I very much doubt they'd give you a copy or tell you how to service your dishwasher.

LINK > Frigidaire 'Precision Wash' Dishwasher Service Manual

JMO

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

I checked again the dishwasher and found that the white plastic part (barrel rear) where the motor shaft enters, has a two fisures so I believe the reason of the noise is that the barrel is sliping over the shaft.

I am attaching three pictures, I want to know where are the splines? I see the brown straight lines on the hole where the shaft enters (see the shaft picture .. no splines) .. which is the system to keep the shaft and the plastic stuff ( barrel/macerator/impeller)together?, see that the shaft does not have any hole where the lock screw enters.
                  Any coments?
                  German

The pictures are at:
                  Picture 1
                  Picture 2
                  Picture 3

regards

Thanks
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 11-09-2008, 02:58 AM. Reason: Pictures no longer available except attachment

Comment

quote:I want to know where are the splines?
                    I think you found where the "dust over the black shaft of the pump motor" came from. I've never seen a dishwasher motor shaft worn that completely before. I think it's time for a new motor.

JMO

LINK > Frigidaire FDB679GFC2 Pump Motor

BTW. How long have you been experiencing the noise?

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                    Last edited by Dan O.; 11-09-2008, 02:48 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Hey I forgot to say thanks, I bought the Dishwasher motor, it came with everything included the 15 inches diameter plastic base (why?), the motor, gaskets etc and worked (of course) I think it is expensive $130

Now is the freaking timer motor assembly... it locks sometimes in one place it is exacltly 180 degres from the start position...Grrrr

Thanks

Comment

Did we ask how old this dishwasher is? I am thinking in terms of how much money you should put into a DW if it is more than 7 or 8 years.

As to why you had to purchase a large assembly, as opposed just the motor: two reasons.

Service would be too expensive if customers had to pay the labor cost of disassembly and repair to the small part level. AND, a service man is not going to warrant a pump assembly full of old parts while just replacing the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Techno55

included the 15 inches diameter plastic base (why?)
                          That kit replaces several different pump motors from different manufactures which have been used in production. In order to install the current motor, a new housing is usually required as well. They ship 2 housings because models could use one or the other depending on the dishwasher's features.

The kit was made available due to complaints from field service depots which before then had to stock 3-4 different motors and a bunch of different housings in order to complete repair jobs on the first trip. A single motor kit that would fit all, reduced servicer's inventory making it easier for repairs to be completed quickly which is more cost effective to the servicer and preferred by customers.

LINK > Frigidaire D/W Pump & Motor Kit

it locks sometimes in one place it is exactly 180 degrees from the start position.
                          Unless something fell into the pump and is jamming it (unlikely IMO), I can't think of anything besides a defective motor which would cause it.

It's probably not what you want to hear but the replacement motor should be warranted for 1-year so you'll likely need to order and install a replacement and return that one.

how old this dishwasher is? I am thinking in terms of how much money you should put into a DW if it is more than 7 or 8 years.
                          Kinda late for that now (seeing the part has been purchased and all) but that model only looks to be a 2000 or later. I could tell for sure with its serial number. Being that it's a non-electronic control model, there isn't a lot to go wrong with that particular design and it's new enough that it should be reasonably thrifty with water consumption. I don't believe just a motor replacement is unreasonable unless it was a very bottom of the line model and/or there were other problems like the racks rusting, timer not advancing or malfunctioning, etc.

JMO

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                          Last edited by Dan O.; 07-13-2006, 09:39 PM. Reason: Additional link

Comment

Impeller/shaft disassembly

I've just uncovered the same problem with a slipping shaft, complete with the same cracks in the barrel as you picture. Note the impeller clips onto the shaft, the stainless screw on the end keeps the clip from compressing. Pinch the end of the shaft with fingertips or small pliers and the impeller will slid off and the whole unit can be disassembled.

I've yet to find if I can order just the shaft, everything I've found on the web doesn't break this part out. I've a good appliance parts store in town that I hope can help me with this. I'll relay any info I find. An apparent weak design that likely causes lots of problems. The unit hasn't been cleaning too well lately, probably has been slipping to some degree for awhile.

BTW, I do see the splines on the motor shaft in the picture, they're just very close to the motor housing.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =