Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable support posts

Hey everyone,

I'm finishing a basement that utilises adjustable jack posts to support a beam from the upstairs floor. I am going to build a wall RIGHT THROUGH both posts. Should I be enclosing the things? Aren't they supposed to remain accessible for adjustment purposes? The beam they support is 4 2 x 12's glued and bolted together. I was going to build the wall to enclose this all the way to the floor (6" thick). By code am I allowed to enclose these ugly but practical posts?

Craig

http://www.homerepairforum.com/images/uploads/2005-4-1_DSCF0006_(2)_w550.JPG

Once the lolly columns are properly set in place there should never be a need to adjust them again. It is quite common to box them in.

Note: operative word in that statement is "Properly" set in place. Depending upn the amount of load on lolly columns in some instances it is necessary to install a deeper foundation base under them, and the top of the columns nomally have holes in the support plate so they can be nailed to the stud to insure the remain in the proper place.

Comment

Thanks,

These "lolloy" columns are nailed at the top into the beam.

On another note,

I'm installing a suspended ceiling in this basement. The owner of the house wants recessed lighting or pocket lamps. Can I simply cut round holes into the ceiling fibre material and rely only upon that to hold up the weight of the lamp? If I install solid mounted lamps (that is mounted to the joists), How do I install the ceiling panels since thay must be tilted to insert into the channels when assembling?

Craig

Comment

Check with your local electrical supply house. The have special fixture mounts that are made for use on suspended ceiling track systems. The mounts have a support bar that bridges over the tile and clips on the track on either side.

Many recessed lighting fixtures are made on a 2' x 2' base for direct installation between suspended cieling track.

Another option is to suspend the fixture on support wires from the ceiling above the suspended ceiling.

I am sure Hayzee may be able to supply additional suggestions.

Comment

If your pocket lamps have their own wiring box, and the ceiling material can support the fixture, just cut a hole in the material. If you are using Poly coated fiberglass, bridge between the joists with 2X4s and nail the fixtures to the bridging even with the face of the grid. The fiberglass is flexible enough to squeeze into the grid and over the lamp. The escutcheon fastens by two springs.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =