Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smell gas when I use oven

I can smell the gas in the next room and sometimes even upstairs when I use the oven (not the stove burners, just the oven).

The repairman claimed there was no leak though. He was only there for a few minutes though so the oven wasn't on very long. I tried explaining to him that the smell filled up the house when the oven has been on awhile. He said that there could be a smell associated with the gas but that there was no leak.

Should I be concerned about this? Should I get a second opinion or let it go?

You should NEVER "let it go" when it pertains to a gas smell! That repair man should have his head examined! Yegads!!! I would definitely get a second opinion, and have the oven on for awhile before they show up. Cookies always help their attitudes, anyway!

If that doesn't work, call your utility company--they will send someone out to look for a leak. I had a repair man that swore up and down they couldn't find anything, then the utility company guy sprays some soapy water on the connection and viola--bubbles (i.e. leak). The connection was loose.

It does sound like it's an appliance thing, tho.

Good luck!

Comment

He claimed if there really was a leak, then I should be able to smell it when the oven is off as well, not only when it's on.

The oven is covered under a home warranty plan for a couple more months. Wonder if someone just doesn't want to give me a new oven.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THAT OVEN UNTIL IT IS CHECKED BY A COMPETANT GAS APPLIANCE TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a vent from the oven through the top of the range and it is possible that what you are smelling is normal combustion exhaust from the burner, however,

The previous serviceman only considered a leak on the supply line, which is from the house gas pipe to the range. It is true that if a leak were present on the supply line it would be noticable at all times, not jut when the oven is on. However the oven gas control is directly behind the oven temperature control knob and there is a pipe from the oven regulator down to the burner. If there happens to be a leak on the pipe from the regulator to the burner it would leak raw gas as soon as the oven regulator was turned on. Gas is basically heavier than air, which means the leaking gas could collect under the rangetop and inside the range cabinet while the burner is on. With the oven burner burning this would make a potentially explosive condition and one that must be checked immediately.

I can not emphasize this enough, this is one instance where you should not trust it to a handiman or inexperienced service person. Bite the bullet and get a real bonafide Gas Appliance technician to check it out immediately.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jaristotle
          He claimed if there really was a leak, then I should be able to smell it when the oven is off as well, not only when it's on.
          That is likely true.

Was the "repairman" which was out a licensed gas *appliance service technician* or just a gas installer (... or some kind of handyman?). To me your complaint sounds like a problem in the oven ignition system and not a "leak" at all.

You can read about various types of gas oven ignition systems and problems that can experience at the following link.

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

Before we could suggest what the cause could be we'd need to know what type of ignition system it uses, how it is functioning and/or (preferably and) the brand name and *exact* model number of the appliance in question as noted in the post at the top of this forum titled "Please include Make and Model # in post".

quote:The oven is covered under a home warranty plan for a couple more months. Wonder if someone just doesn't want to give me a new oven.
          No warranty is likely to "give you a new oven" regardless. But they should repair it if defective.

If you have a choice (and you probably don't unless you're willing to pay for it yourself), I would suggest you have a factory authorized service depot (see the following link) for whatever brand of appliance it is, check it out.

LINK > Who To Call For Home Appliance Service?

JMO

Dan O.

The Appliance Information Site
          =D~~~~~~
          Last edited by Dan O.; 08-29-2012, 02:48 AM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Working...
          X
          =