Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! bath tub leak

We found a leak in the bathtub!!
    It is evident from dripping water through a light fixture in the basement ceiling below the bathroom. I pulled off the light fixture cover and could see there are some water stains on the floor boards above. When I run the water without anyone in the tub the leak is negligible, but when I (225lbs) step into the tub the leak is much stronger. When my wife hops in (she is much lighter ~110 lbs) the leak isn't as noticeable. I am guessing the connection between the tub and the drain pipe is poorly sealed or broken. Also, I may be stressing the connection due to my weight. We just bought the house (which is great) and I believe much of the work was a do it yourself type project. So I am not sure if everything was properly installed to code etc. How can I fix this problem in a cost effective manner? Do I have to pull the tub out? I welcome all comments. Thanks!

If the leak is occuring right around the tub drain fitting probably the plumbers putty seal under the tub basket has dried out and cracked.

You should be able to complete the repair from inside the tub without tearing the ceiling out, providing you can get the tub basket out.

Use a basket wrench to pull the tub basket out, apply a small rope of plumbers putty about the diameter of a lead pencil on the underside of the basket flange and firmly tighten the basket back into place. You will see the excess putty squeeze out as you tighten it.

You can buy an inexpensive tub basket wrench at any local hardware or big box home supply center for about $5.

Comment

Your suggestion worked. The leak was around the drain. A new application of plumbers putty did the trick. Wow, a $1.50 fix to a plumbing problem. It couldn't have worked out better. Thank you so much!! This is a great website!

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

If the leak is occuring right around the tub drain fitting probably the plumbers putty seal under the tub basket has dried out and cracked.

You should be able to complete the repair from inside the tub without tearing the ceiling out, providing you can get the tub basket out.

Use a basket wrench to pull the tub basket out, apply a small rope of plumbers putty about the diameter of a lead pencil on the underside of the basket flange and firmly tighten the basket back into place. You will see the excess putty squeeze out as you tighten it.

You can buy an inexpensive tub basket wrench at any local hardware or big box home supply center for about $5.

Comment

Does the Tub Basket have threads and unscrews counterclockwise to remove it?

Comment

yes. they make a special wrench that fits inside the basket to unscrew it.

Comment

okay thanks...

Comment

Working...
            X
            =