Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door Problems

Hello HomeRepair Folks

Desperately hope some of you can help. I am a new user with a garage door that wont close unless I hold the button down. I have fiddled with the IR eye (alignment, clairy) but to no avail. Can I just disconnect the wires that lead from the eye to the motor? Is there some easy fix?

Thanks in advance!

JP

You don't mention the make of your opener? There should be a green light that's lit on the sensor if it is lined up and operating properly. But the sensor may not be the problem, the door could be obstructed in some way, like a roller getting hung up or the tracks in need of cleaning, etc. And No, you can't just disconnect the sensors, they are there for safety reasons.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

You don't mention the make of your opener? There should be a green light that's lit on the sensor if it is lined up and operating properly. But the sensor may not be the problem, the door could be obstructed in some way, like a roller getting hung up or the tracks in need of cleaning, etc. And No, you can't just disconnect the sensors, they are there for safety reasons.
      JP

Comment

Kactus

Thanks for the reply. Yes the green lights are on and operating, sometimes they will flicker but as near as I can tell it is on and operating.

I dont think the door is getting hung up since it stops and reverses at many, and any, point on the track, seemingly at random.
        '
        I am wondering if it could be the IR bulb? or is it a light bulb that would need replacing.

THanks

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

JP

Comment

It sounds to me like the "downward force" of the opener is set too low. There is usually a set screw on the opener someplace that can be turned with a screwdriver. This will make the opener push a little harder. **Be sure it is only set with egnough force to actually close the door properly, no more. It will effect how quickly the door reverses if it hits something.

leone184
          leone184

Comment

Working...
          X
          =