Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain link fence: setting posts

I've seen two ways to set a post for a chain link fence, and I'd appreciate the opinion of the group here. One method fills the hole around the post with concrete. The other method fills the hole with dirt to within 6" or so of the surface, then caps off with concrete.

So, concrete: completely fill the hole around the post or only the top several inches?

Thanks!

- Wm

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

I really don't like either way you've described. The best way that I have found to set a post is to fill the hole with concrete to within 4-5" from the top, then install dirt up to the top. This prevents freezing water from getting in under the concrete and raising it out of the ground. Here's a link that will show you all the details of not only how to set the post but how to install your fence. Hope this helps.

Hoover Fence has been a supplier of fence and fencing related materials for over 40 years. We provide products to contractors, retailers, and homeowners throughout the United States. We strive to make your fence buying experience a great one.

Comment

That was just what I needed. Ended up using the quick setting stuff from QuickCrete and had the fence moved in a day. It took as long to jackhammer through the blacktop at the end of the driveway as it did to actually install the fence. One sunburn and several hours later, and got a job well done.

Thanks!

- Wm

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

I really don't like either way you've described. The best way that I have found to set a post is to fill the hole with concrete to within 4-5" from the top, then install dirt up to the top. This prevents freezing water from getting in under the concrete and raising it out of the ground. Here's a link that will show you all the details of not only how to set the post but how to install your fence. Hope this helps.

Hoover Fence has been a supplier of fence and fencing related materials for over 40 years. We provide products to contractors, retailers, and homeowners throughout the United States. We strive to make your fence buying experience a great one.
      Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

Wow, glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback [8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

Wow, glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback [8D]
          What really needs to happen now is I need to learn how to accurately find the centers of the posts so I don't have to dig such big honkin' holes (to allow for wiggle room) and use so much QuickCrete!

Next big project will be a third deck in the back yard just big enough for my little girl's inflatable pool and a couple of lawn chairs, with a backdrop of lattice for when she's old enough to start putting on "plays." Maybe some low voltage lighting for stage lights. She's on her own for a fly system.

Mark with a crayon
          Cut with an axe.
          Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
          Cut with an axe.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =