Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible Couplings

In making a small repair to part of my kitchen sink drain piping, I had to connect a 1-1/2" PVC line to a 1-1/2" copper line. I used a generic-brand coupling from the local big box store that was supposed to be the one for that purpose. That's what the label on it said anyway.

Well, it works, but I'm not sure it's right. Obviously the OD of copper pipe is smaller than PVC, yet the ID of both ends of the coupling are the same. I had to really tighten down the clamp on the copper end so it wouldn't leak.

I noticed on Fernco's website that the coupling they have for this purpose has different IDs on each end as I would expect. Should I go ahead and switch out what I have with a Fernco, or will what I've done be OK? I know the couplings are cheap, but I don't want to do more work if it's unnecessary.

All those couplings are required to be manufactured to meet some very stringent ASTM (American Society Testing Materials) standards. If the product you used is ASTM approved and if it is labelled as suitable for PVC to Copper or brass piping there should be no problem.

Comment

Great, thanks. I don't know if the coupling is ASTM approved, but its label did say it was suitable for what I used it for. I'm more familiar with Fernco couplings, but the store didn't have any so I went with the other brand. I guess as long as it's not leaking it'll be OK.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =