Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarter Round Adhesive Question! Please help!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Round Adhesive Question! Please help!

Hi,

I'm installing quarter round in my dining room and bathroom, in part for decoration, and in part to mask some problems with the room. The flooring is not 100% parallel to the bottom of the baseboard, so I'm hoping the trim with soften this irregularity.

The quarter round I'm installing has a little flex in it, and it will need to hold in a slightly bent position to accomplish this. My question is: What the best fast acting adhesive to use for this project? I don't think regular caulk will firmly hold the quarter round down at the "bendy" spots, and I'm not sure if nails alone will solve the problem, and I'm also concerned about splitting/damaging the quarter round during installation.

Any advice or someone who has dealt with a similar problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris

cnelson22204@yahoo.com

Trim should usually be nailed. A 4d or 5d finish nail shoule be about right for quarter round. You can flatten the points of the nails with a of the hammer, or predrill some small pilot holes, to prevent splitting.

Glue will be messy; it will be difficult to hold in place while the glue sets; and it will be impossible to remove later ( the next time you work on the floor )

Comment

I'd recommend nails too, very small brads and then set them if needed, with a nail set. If I HAD to use glue, I'd get just a small dab of liquid nails and use with the nails. dont do too much though as it can get messy.

"All that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be" - R. Waters

Comment

Liquid nail type products are invariably used in one of two ways:

The standard method of producing the most consistent results is to keep the piece being glued under pressure for a minimum of 10 -12 hrs after application (i.e., springing pieces or nails).

A lessor known method - and one where the outcome isn’t so guarenteed - is their use as a contact adhesive:

1. Dab the glue onto the back of the quarter round at 16 " intervals (and at other strategic points if required).

2. Offer the quarter round into place making sure that all the ‘dabs’ touch the wall before removing it again.

3. After waiting 10 mins or so re-introduce the quarter round and pin it into place.

Hope this helps

Terry Cousins

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!
        www.easycarpentry.com

Comment

My first choice would be nails. Small finish head brads to be exact.

Given that I have large fingers that always seem to present themselves as targets for a hammer, i prefer to use a "brad pusher" to install the brads, it is much simpler.

A brad pusher is a simple little tool with a wooden handle and a telescoping metal tube extending out wo it looks like a screwdriver.
          You drop a brad in the tube head first with the pointed end facing out, place the point of the brad where you want it and push inwards, voila', the brad is set and counter sunk in one quick easy motion.

you can get a brad pusher at any hardware store for about $5.

Comment

quote:Given that I have large fingers that always seem to present themselves as targets for a hammer....
            I couldn't agree more with that statement - there's nothing worse than hitting the wrong nail!!

Terry Cousins

www.easycarpentry.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            =