Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar verses Wolmanized

I would like to know which is rated best for an outside decking , cedar or Wolmanized? My deck is in St. Louis & it takes a beating all year from the sun & cold.

Thank you

I have a large deck with cedar deck boards and it's beautiful when it's clean, but, if I had to do it over again I would not build a deck using wooden decking of anytype. Way to much maintenance to keep it looking good. If you're considering cedar then check out the composite decking. It's about the same price and zero maintenance. With both cedar and pressure treated (PT) you need to seal with a semi-transparent stain yearly on the horizonatal boards and every 2-3 years on the vertical boards. That includes cleaning prior to sealing and then the time and expense of applying a good sealer.

Cedar is softer than PT but a bit more stable in that it doesn't twist and crack quite as much. Using either boards you need to use a triple galvanized screw or stainless steel screws, otherwise the chemicals in the new pt will corrode the fasteners and rust them in two withing a few years.

Comment

Wolmnized versus cedar

I don't believe you got an answer to your question and it is the same question I have and I live in St. Louis area too. I am buying cedar planks to repair each year (July 2011) but each time I do I look over at the "wolmanized" and wonder? I have a solid stain on deck so the transparency of the grain is not an issue its just the maintenance and expense of cedar versus far cheaper wolmanized. I am going to the "valley" and will check Home Depot and Lowes today for advice as well as Chesterfield Fence & Deck and see if I can't get some better advice to post.

Comment

what about composite decking? it's basically plastic! home & garden tv's got some leads to this stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =