Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating Pre-Installed Speaker wires

When our house was built, the manufacturer installed 2 pairs of speaker wires from the built in wall TV enclosure to the opposite wall (coming down from the top). We opted not to have them install the speakers however they left the wiring in place. Now I want to use the wires for surround rear speakers BUT don't know exactly where or between which set of frames in the wall that they come down...(know within 2 feet) I am unable to access the above crawl space to visually sight them and short of cutting exploratory holes in the sheetrock don't know how to find them... Any thoughts or suggestions on my problem? The builder has since gone out of business and the house plans don't depict this set of wires... BUT I KNOW THEY ARE THERE SOMEWHERE.....

Some electrical supply house or even a big box store may sell a cable tracer set. This consists of a transmitter and receiver. I had a set that the telephone company used that inserted an rf signal on one or a couple of wires and a receiver that would pick up this signal and tell you where it was and how deep it was [if buried underground]
    I don't think any voltage detector is sensitive enough to pick up anything embedded in a wall [induction type of beeper] so the radio aignal is the only way to go - short of tearing down sheetrock.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =