Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "AC Service" - what is it really?

My wife has informed me that we are scheduled to have our AC units serviced in a weeks time. Can someone tell me what typically constitutes a service? I've replaced the filters on all the units and I've just replaced the motor / fan on another. This service is supposed to take about an hour and will cost $310. Is it worth it? I want our units to run smoothly of course but I don't want to pay some guy $310 for replacing the filters that I've just replaced.

Cheers, Max

How many units and what sort of service. It seems to me that you waited a bit late in the year to really start to worry about getting your units serviced for the summer. It is always advised by the manufacture to get your units serviced at least twice a year (spring and fall), especially if you have units that are still under warranty. Actually if your units are new you can void the warranty if you do not have your units serviced twice a year. As far as what a "spring" check should consist of - they should check amp draws on motors, sequence of operation in a/c mode, thermostat function, cleanliness of evaporator coil, cleanliness of condenser coil, contactor, electrical operation of condenser, superheat or subcooling of refrigerant system (freon levels), and temperature drops (from return air to supply air should be between 15 - 20 degree split)

Hopefully this will help a bit, but without knowing how many systems you have and the configuration, it's hard to tell if you are getting value for your money.

Have you changed your filter this month?

Brandon
    - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

We have three units in all. You're right, we are late in getting them serviced but I wanted to wait until I had the motor replaced in the one unit that was not working so that all could be serviced at once. That's just one reason why the service has been delayed, there are many more. No need to worry about warranties. As with everything else in our house the units are old i.e. about 15 years old.

Cheers, Max

Comment

For 3 units the price doesn't sound bad to me. Good luck

Brandon

Brandon

Comment

Preventative maintenance servicing is usually checking the filters. Putting on a set of gauges and checking hi side - lo side pressures. Checking the presence of bubbles in the freon/oil mix, checking relay contacts for wear, lubricating motor bearings if they have oil holes - checking the TEX when it opens etc. Debris around the condensor fan

Comment

I normally hit all the points previously mentioned by Hayzee & Lonestar, but in addition I carry a 3/8" x 35' plumbers wire snake (the continuous screen door spring type). On one end it is enlarged to 1/2". From outside the structure I insert the enlarged end of the snake into the condensate line as far as i can, then quickly draw it out again. It only takes a couple minutes but it quickly and easily removes all that geletin gunk in the condensate drain line. Normally when i do that I immediately get a full flow of water from the condensate line which proves the line is open.

Over the years I have tried numerous methods of cleaning the condensate drain lines, but none of them proved to be as cheap or easy as that $9 wire snake from the hardware store.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =