Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irrigation Pump runs continuously

We just moved into a new house on a lake with an irrigation system with a pump that draws water from the lake. The irrigation controller is a Rainbird ESP-6. Everything was running fine until yesterday, when I decided to run the sprinkler system manually on zone 4 without checking the directions for the controller. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but after the sprinkler system shut off, the pump continued to run. There is a considerable distance from the pump to the controller and I didn't notice that the pump was still running until I saw water bursting from the pump house (about an hour to two hours later). The pipe had burst and I wasn't sure what to do so I cut off the main power supply to the pump from the circuit panel. I reset the sprinkler system controller and turned everything off but whenever I turn the power back on to the pump, it runs and spits water everywhere. I am not familiar with electronics so please bear with me as I try to describe different things. There appears to be an GFI protected outlet right next to the pump with something plugged into it. I pushed the reset button. I turned the power back on to the pump but it still comes on. What device or mechanism controls the pump and valves for the sprinkler system? The controller seems to be working fine. I have not repaired the burst pipe yet. Please help!![:X]

The pump should be controlled by a pressure switch.

Whan all sprinklers are turned off the pump will continue to run until it hits a high limit pressure and turns the pump off. Whenever a sprinkler is turned on flow begins and line pressure drops signaling the pump to start.

In all probability the break in the pipe is between the pump and the pressure switch location, therefore the water is spraying out and never actually exerts pressure against the switch to turn the pump off.

Solution,,,,repair the broken pipe and all should be ok.

Comment

Lazypup,

Thank you so much for your reply. That sounds like an easy fix and would be ideal. If the pressure switch is supposed to turn off the pump, why do you suppose it didn't? Is it possible that I have a faulty pressure switch? The pressure gauge on the pipe near the pump reads 0 and my husband will know better which pipe it is that actually burst. Do I need to prime the pump before it will run again? What other things should I do before I run it again?[:I]

Comment

The pressure guage reading of zero further confirms my assumption. The line is broken off before the pressur switch, therefore the water from the pump is spray out of the broken line and no pressure is reaching the switch to turn it off.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =