Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation help

I don't know if you can help me out here but I will try posting this question here anyway.

I need to install a horse waterer and I was hoping you could help me out some. The horse water needs to be connected to an existing 3/4" galvanized steel pipe waterline that is 7' below ground. I live in an area that has a 6' frostline. After I call and have someone out to locate where the lines are located I was going to dig down 8' deep with a backhoe and and insert a framed plywood box to prevent the sides from caving in. The plywood box would have 3/4" plywood on the outside and 2 by 6's on the inside. It wouldn't be framed like a house wall with the 2 by 6's going up and down but instead the 2 by 6's would be going left and right and be dadoed on there ends where they would fit together. The 2 by 6's would be space at 12" o.c.. So sense the box is 8' long I would need 9 of them. I need this box for something else so the extra expense of the materials wouldn't be anything to me. The inside length and width of the box would by atleast 4' by 4' to allow me enough room to work. After I set the box inside the hole and climbed in it I also need to make another hole on the bottom of the hole that has a 14" diameter and is 2-3' deep for a 12" id pvc pipe. I'd probably just make this hole with a post hole digger since it isn't that deep. Then I'd make a hole in the plywood box so that I can get to the 3/4" galvanized steel pipe and tap into it and run it in and up the box to 3' above ground level.

Sorry for the long post but please read on if you don't mind. Next goes in the very long 12" id pvc pipe that will be 13'-14' long. This measurement adds up because 8' is for the hole, 2-3' is for that extra 14" diameter hole on the bottom, and 3' of it is projecting out of the hole. This pvc pipe is in the ground so far because it serves to keep the 3/4" galvanized pipe from freezing up because the galvanized pipe is in the middle of the pvc pipe and warm air from the bottom of the pvc pipe hole constantly rises preventing the 3/4" pipe from freezing.

After this I would need to make piers inorder to support the horse waterer. I was thinking about using 5 by 5 treated posts with lag screws or 12 by 12 concrete piers with 3/8" bent threaded rod on top of it. I am mainly concerned about the piers settling over time and ruining my installation. They don't have to hold that much weight though. There own weight is far more than the horse waterer. I was thinking about compacting the ground where the piers are located with a 1" diameter rod that is 6' long on the bottom of the hole. For the piers I was planning on making a rectangular box out of 1/2" plywood that is 12" by 12" by 8' long. The inside diameters would be 11" by 11" by 8' long. I would then make 4 of these and place them in the hole and position them and hold them with 2 by 4's bracing them and preventing them from shifting while I backfilled.

When the 4 plywood rectangular boxes for the piers are checked in place and level I would then remove the outer box that is preventing all the dirt from caving in. I probably will make this box in sections to make it easier to remove or perhaps I will just hook it up to the backhoe with a chain and lift it out. If all goes well here I backfill the dirt evenly to try and not disturb the 4 plywood boxes. Next I would pour the concrete in the 4 rectangular boxes and provide 3 1/2" diameter rebar rods at 8' long in each of them (12 total) to try and strengthen the concrete piers. I'd also remember to place and sink the 3/8" bent threaded rods into the concrete inorder to provide the attachment for the horse waterer. Next I would place the horse waterer ontop of the piers and bolt it down. Finally I'd connect the waterline and electrical to the waterer.

Does this installation sound exceptable?????. Please help and give suggestions if you don't mind. Thanks alot for the good help.
Working...
X
=