Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag gas dryer, no heat

Maytag Dependable Care Plus, model # LDG9334AAE, about 8 years old.

When I first turn it on it heats up. After it runs a short bit (maybe 5 minutes) the heat shuts off. I have cleaned out the exhaust vent and dryer.

Not a clue.

Someone is likely going to need to observe the gas burner and its ignitor to see *exactly* what is occurring at the time of failure. If you can post those observations, someone may be able to tell you what the cause may be.

** I have cleaned out the exhaust vent **

All the way to the outdoors and checked operation of the vent 'flapper' on the house??

BTW. You an read about dryer venting at the following link. It is not just plugs that can affect proper dryer operation.

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

thank you. I checked out the links. My vent appears to be free of obstructions. However, when the dryer is running and I take the vent hose off the back of the dryer, the flame gets dimmer. When I first reatach the exhaust hose the flame brightens and then slowly getts dimmer and then stays the same brightness until the flame goes out.

When I first started the dryer, the heat element got bright and the gas lit off. After a short time the heat element went off and the flame continued. The flame stayed lit for 3-5 minutes and went off. I shut the dryer off and re-started it. The heat element got bright orange but the flame never re-ignited. It appears there is no gas getting to the element (guessing). If the dryer sits for a half hour or so then it will re-ignite, gets hot and runs for maybe 3-5 minutes and the flame goes out again.

It acts just the same whether the exhaust hose is on or off and there seems to be plenty of air flow at the outside vent.

Could it be the "flame sensor" like the Kitchen Aide in the other thread?

Comment

** The flame stayed lit for 3-5 minutes and went off. **

You do realize that the burner normally cycles on and off to maintain temperature? Or do you mean the flame went off and never came back on again by itself???

** Could it be the "flame sensor" like the Kitchen Aide in the other thread? **

We haven't yet heard back from the other poster that the sensor was definitely the cause. I only said I *thought* that may have been the cause of their problem.

I guess it could be the cause in your case although I don't ever recall hearing one as being intermittent. They most often either work or they don't but may be possible.

LINK > Maytag LDG9334AAE Gas Burner Flame Sensor

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 09-12-2010, 10:49 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Thanks Dan, the flame went off and never relights. The dryer can run for ever and it never relights. When I shut the dryer off and it sits for a half hour or so, it relights. When the flame goes out, I can shut the dryer off and re-start it. The elements gets orange but the flame does not ignite until I let the dryer sit off for a while.

Comment

Do you know how to open the dryer up? If so, Trace the wires from the ignitor, see where they go. Let us know, where you trace them too. For safety reasons do this with the dryer unplugged. The ignitor decreaces in resistance as it heats allowing current to flow to the valve. What is between the ignitor and the valve? I should know this but it's been a while since I worked on a dryer so my memory is of no use.

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know where your problem is. The most common cause of intermittent burner operation are the gas valve's solenoid coils (see the following link). They are notorious for working once or twice but failing when they get warm from use. I don't know if the flame sensor would fail in the manor you described or not. Sorry.

LINK > Maytag LDG9334AAE Burner Solenoid Coils

(The same gas valve and coils are used on many makes and models of gas dryers.)

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
              Last edited by Dan O.; 09-12-2010, 10:49 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

At this point I am satisfied to agree with Dan O. I just cannot remember all the workings of a dryer in my mind. Either there is a snap disc high limit that is being set off or the coils are bad. I am persuaded to go with the coils although usually when the coils go bad the dryer never lights. It could possibly be the ignitor I guess, checking the OHMs on the ignitror will tell the story on that part as well as the coils but you would need the normal ratings for each part i.e. 1200 ohms etc. If it were mine I would start by replacing the coils. It can become costly to just replace parts but still cheaper than paying for service unless time without is valuable.

Comment

Thank you, I will post again as soon as I dig in a little deeper.

JCA1, time is "kind of" important, but I am staying pretty busy.

Thanks for the help, I will be back with a followup.

Comment

Did you fix this yet? Do you know how to check ohms? If so you can ohm the coils and tell for sure. If you want to let me know I'll give you the correct readings for a good coil set.

Comment

JCA1, I sure appreciate your help. I am going to open it up this weekend. It works intermittently. I turn it on and it does heat up. I check it about 15 minutes later and about 1/3 of the time it is still working. If not I turn it off and try it in another 1/2 or so. Just been really busy and haven't had the time to dig in to it. Checking the resistance is not trouble.

Thanks, I will be back with the results.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JCA1
                        If so you can ohm the coils and tell for sure.
                        I'm afraid it doesn't usually. The type of failures such coils usually experience are often intermittent and only show up when in use. When tested cold, they usually test good. It makes it hard to properly diagnose without just trial and error.

Such a test can sometimes be performed on a 'bench test' of the burner *at time of failure* but isn't usually an option for a homeowner.

JMO

Dan O.
                        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                        Last edited by Dan O.; 09-12-2010, 10:50 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Well, I agree Dan, however in my experience they can be tested effectively after the initial liting. I had this the other day, Uncle's dryer would lite once and hold but not relite. I tested the coils after the first lite and they showed bad. I did not test them before the first lite, because as you say this dosen't always work unless one of the coils is completely gone. I get rusty on dryers though cause we don't have to work on many, it's not until I dig into one and get my trusty book out that I remember everthing.

Comment

I just want to thank Dan O. and JCA1. I replaced the gas valve's solenoid coils this morning and the first load dried just fine. Thats the firs time since it started having troubles.

Thanks a million for all your help.

Kenny

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rubiranch
                              I replaced the gas valve's solenoid coils this morning and the first load dried just fine.
                              Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                              Last edited by Dan O.; 09-12-2010, 10:50 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =