Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• go-to links......

A few weeks ago our computers (mine and my wife's) quit allowing us to click on a link. Used to be we could click a link, get the 'stop' sign, click again and we got the desired new site. What changed? What can I do to get back the ablitiy to view links? We didn;t change any settings, (that I know of!). All known pop-up blockers are turned off.

Hey, What do you mean by the "stop" sign?

Did you install any windows updates?

What browser are you using?

Try
    Try

Comment

The stop sign is a little red octagon with a hand up, as in "STOP!". And, yes, I have installed windows updates when they're available. This system is running W98 on an HP. My wife's is WXP Home running on a Dell. The browser is Internet Explorer.

Comment

I am trying to figure out why it gives you that. Do you think you could take a screenshot and post it so I can see? alt + printscreen will take a screen shot and you can paste it into mspaint and save as gif or jpg.

Try
        Try

Comment

That stop sign is just a sort of slow flash. It's not up long enough to copy. Used to be when I received pics in the Yahoo mail I could click on them and they'd be displayed in a new window. Now I get that dang stop sign. Wish I could better describe it.....

Comment

I know it sounds wierd but I cannot install internet explorer anymore. So I opted to install Mozilla Firefox.
            Since installing this program - I have no problems with security as in the whole windows experience, minumum pop up ads. There's a password remembering device that works swell. You ought to try it. It acts just like windows IE. There's minimum toolbars to invade your screen. Its also free.

Comment

Yes and it is much more secure, so browser hijackers and spyware aren't as easy to get. Firefox is the only browser I use now, I love it!

Check out the extensions, there are hundreds that will do all sorts of things for you. Try it out!

Try
              Try

Comment

I did load that Mozilla as you recommended to me a while back. But I sorta got stuck on where to go after it was in the computer. What stopped me was how to handle the my ISP with that and then what happens to the mail account on Outlook. So I just sorta backed off. But...I still have it on that bottom most bar on the right hand side. (Just in case I ever figure out how to use it!)

Comment

You can still use outlook just use firefox instead of internet explorer. Let me know if you need some help...

Try
                  Try

Comment

Okay. So I've been 'practicing'....Am I to understand that I all I need do is to click the Firefox icon at the lower right corner and that gets me to the main page and I conduct business as usual? Do this rather than approach the internet as directed by my ISP?

Comment

Firefox is completely compatible with about five different email programs. When you make it your default browser it adopts your present email. Whatever your isp uses for email - Eudora, Outlook, it still uses it. What you'll find however, certain plugins that worked with Windows IE you have to re-download some plug-ins. ActiveX and Macromedia Shockwave are two such programs. Mozilla has a password remembering program that is quite helpful if you have multiple sites.

Comment

I've been exclusively using it tonight! WOWSERS! The stuff that I can access and not get that stupid stopsign! It even appears to operate faster. Could be a figment....thanks to you guys for helping me. Will now address the moving of the 'favorites' to the bookmarks. Looks to be pretty easy. This is neat...

Comment

By the way, guy's, thanks for all the help. I'm using it and it's working great! Really impressed with the improvements.

Comment

mrcaptainbob,

It is great to hear that Troy turned you onto Firefox. I have been using that for yrs since 0.9 version and now there is 1.0.7 and will never go back to IE again. I would also recommend using THUNDERBIRD for your email. This will replace your OUTLOOK and is much more secure than OUTLOOK. It looks very similar to outlook itself.

Please keep in mind one thing. Just because you have switched to FIREFOX does NOT mean you do not have keep IE out to date. I have been reading many articles showing people are still using the IE backdoor even though Firefox was their browser. The bad part is you cannot uninstall IE since MS built it into the OS. The new version of windows called Vista has IE a separate component.

Troy, I am not sure you knew this or not.

Firefox rules!!!

Comment

Thanks, Montecore. I'll check that Thunderbird info...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =