Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change tile color....is it possible?

[?]Has anyone ever tried the tile painting system that you see in places like Home Depot & Lowes? Do they actually work? I have 1970's tile in my bathroom. Its in great shape, but I hate the color. Though the box claims that the primer/paint will stick, even without sanding, I find this difficult yo believe. Also, what about cleaning? Or is there some other method I haven't heard of?

Painting tile in a wet shower/bath enclosure can be iffy at best. I've never used it but I have heard good things about Klenks which is sold at Home Depot. Here's a link to show you about it.

I would also make sure it's cleaned real good and then sand it lightly to scuff it up, any prep you do should pay off in longetivity. Here's another link that should help.

Comment

Tile is designed to slough off surfactants, hence the glazed surface. There might be a chemical wash that'll remove the glaze. If I remember correctly hydroflouric acid dissolves glass and it's stored in wax lined containers. Application might be a problem too! Where'd you get the stuff (edmond scientific ??) may be the answer. Two part or three part epoxy finish may be a help to you.

Comment

painted tile

My wife and i recently painted bathroom tile installed in the 80's (pink and blue) with white oil base paint. Its been three months - so far so good. Went to a local paint store (Benjamin Moore in Canada) and they told us what to use. Sorry i've forgoten exactly what, but there was primer, then the paint. The bathtub is used regularly and the paint has held up well so far.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =