Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NOT to remove your old sink.....

How NOT to remove your old kitchen sink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did read and search and ask several people before I took on the project of replacing my 18 year old kitchen sink and faucet. Even did a search and read all I could about everything to be cautious about.

I wanted and hoped that I had covered every possible problem that could come up or happen. I knew the drain PVC might need a little modification. However, I had no idea for the following SURPRISE!!

I read everything that came with 1. The sink, 2. The new faucet and 3. The new grabage disposal. Then I got started. Everything went together like clockwork. sooooo, then the time came to take apart the old sink and move it out to the garage. Here's where I was not prepared, no one warned me and I had read nothing and I guess my common sense is just a little lacking. My wife went around the edge of the old sink to remove the caulk and then my son and I proceeded to remove the old sink.

First try...... wouldn't move..... I knew the cast iron sink was going to weigh around 140 pounds, so I expected it to be kinda hard to life. Second try nothing. So, my son got down under the sink and pushed up and my wife and I pulled up from above. We pulled harder, and harder................................... (I'll bet you professionals know just exactly what happened next)

Well, something went POP and the sink did come up. However all the formica around the sink came up with it. Plus, it didn't just pull up at the seams, it was torn up all around the sink, anywhere from two inches to two feet from the edge of the sink. I was in a state of shock. Nowhere had I read and no one told me about the use of putty or "whatever" under the inside edge of the sink to either hold it in place and/or make sure it kept the water away from the MDF. The instructions on the new sink did not even mention using it. All the instructions said was to caulk around the outside edge.

Well, live and learn. So now my wife gets new counter tops to replace her worn 18 year old stuff. We are leaving now to see what's out there.
    Live and learn, Se ya, Tom

Vinyl and Laserdisc Fan
    Vinyl and Laserdisc Fan

Oh no!

Well, at least you didn't just have new countertops?

Comment

Working...
    X
    =