Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement dungeon room problem

I have a small 5'x5' room accessable through the basement. It is actually underneath the steps and landing at my front door so three of the walls are external.

It was really moldy. The previous owner had wooden shelving in there but the ceiling dripped moisture. I removed everything. Cleaned the walls with bleach,used drylok paint and insulated the ceiling. There were some cracks in the wall so I filled the with hydraulic cement.

It worked for about 6 months then the moisture came back

Now I would like to seal off the room permanently. I plan to use a thick gauge plastic around the door frame (The frame is no where near the moisture) and use 2x4 from inside the house to seal the doorway. Then I plan to take the door and trim off and drywall over the opening.

Am I asking for trouble?

Sure would like to know where that moisture's coming from...are there any downspouts on the outside that may be nearby? If it were mine, I'd have a really big need of keeping that dry.

Comment

the ceiling is block concrete. Above the ceiling is the small landing at my front door. So this block is very cold in the winter and when the warm air of the house is introduced, it creates condensation.

Comment

I don't know what you used to insulate it with, but I'm thinking installing ridgid foam insulation like EPS directly on the concrete will help alot with condensation. Then you should make sure the rooms stays ventillated, either using a fan or perhaps a dehumidifier. If you try and seal that room up I bet it's turn into a bigger mold problem

Comment

I agree with that, Kactuskid. What do you think the chances are of mold forming between the foam and the concrete? I was thinking maybe a spray-on foam would seal the 'crete and insulate it, too, but am wondering if there could be ground moisture migrating through the 'crete that would eventually relieve the foam and still cause stuff to grow.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =