Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?'s about lead paint in old homes

Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a 99-year old rowhouse, and I walked through with the inspector this weekend. Most of the interior looks like it has been recently repainted, but he said there might be lead paint surfaces exposed in small areas, like the corner of one bedroom closet, and behind one radiator. He said that modern encapsulating liquids are very good, and that I could apply them myself to these areas, thus saving an expesnsive inspection and abatement.

Is it worth it to have an X-ray flouro. inspection done on an old home, regardless of its apparent condition?

Does anyone have experience using encapsulation liquids (like Childguard), or have an opintion on them?

Thanks very much for any thoughts you may have!

Lead was a common additive in the formulation of paint during the 50’s and 60’s. It was banned in 1978. There are simple inexpensive Kits available to test for lead. You can find them at your paint store or even the web.

It is unlikely any paint manufactured and applied after 1978 contained lead. However, that does not mean there are not layers of paint underneath that may contain lead.

The primary route of exposure to lead in paint is through dust and paint chips. If the paint is not peeling, chalking or chipping, the risk is reduced.

Typically, lead can be remeditated by removal or encapsulation. Removal is the most costly. Encapsulation simply means putting another coating specifically designed to act as a barrier over the lead based paints. Encapsulates are typically non permeable, elastic and unpalatable. There are many on the market.

Remediation methods also may depend on local and state code. You should also check with your realtor. Some states and mortgage companies require disclosure of lead and asbestos hazards as a condition of sale. Particularly for rental properties.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =